VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may have just sorted the installation of my reclaimed ex-BT eberspacher unit.

In the process I have read a number of threads where other guys have had issues with their units failing to fire up and locking out. I feel like ive learnt some important info along the way and maybe i can save others a few headaches by noting these down.

Priming the fuel line and pump was vitally important. To do this i made sure the line between the tank and pump was full of fuel, i then connected the pump and used a spare 12v battery to click the pump. Tapping the connection on/off to activate it. Once i was happy that there were no air locks in the line i finally connected the pump output to the D2 unit.

The fuel line between the pump and the D2 needs to be thin. 2/3mm something like that. If its too wide then the pump will have too much work to pump the fuel up to the heater. I think I have also read somewhere that the pump does not want to be more than a metre from the heater.
I believe that the fuel line between the fuel tank and the pump could actually benefit from being wide, especailly if there is distance to cover. Because my heater is right at the back of the van I have used about 2 1/2 metres of 8mm fuel pipe which steps down to 3mm just at the last 2inches before it is connected to the pump. Hopefully this will make it easy for the pump to draw. (edit- I might be wrong about this last bit / or it may make no difference. I guess i'll find out in the fullness of time!)

The angle of the pump itself does not seem to be as big an issue as ensuring that it is properly primed but as a general rule you want the output to be higher than the input.

If the unit cannot get any/enough fuel the following will happen...

press start on controller, unit spins up within a minute or so the pump starts ticking.
If there is no fuel in the pump it will tick more loudly. It will tick for a further minute or so then stop for a minute before trying again. After another minute of ticking if it cannot get some fuel into its veins then it will stop trying, the unit will spin for a bit and then shut down.
Be patient. press the button on the controller to stop the heater from trying to heat up and then wait for everything to fully stop before disconnecting the power.
I cut the power one time whilst it was spinning-down and it wouldnt start up again. I left it switched on all day and eventually seemed to reset itself.
Others have not been so lucky and there is a number of tales on here about new ecu's and bills in excess of the initial cost of the unit.

bx

B.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I don't want to talk about the costs of fixing an D2.......I almost wept when mine went wrong. The costs were getting to the region of getting a recon unit.

My fuel line only runs 2 feet or so, therefore my line is only 2mm or whatever it is. Apparently according to Eber though the angle of the pump should be between 15 and 30degrees, with the inlet lower (as mentioned). That is how it works to its optimum.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so it looks like ive made a mistake with the wide fuel line. Rather than make it easy it actually means there is a lot more volume to draw, consequently making it more difficult. My unit runs for about 5 minutes then shuts down due to lack of fuel.

I have ordered the actual parts used by an official eberspacher fitter, this company...

Krueger Ltd
Unit 16 Queensway, Krueger House, Queensway, New Milton, Hants, BH25 5NN.

Tel:01425 619869

Not the cheapest, but if i had got the bits from them in the first place i wouldnt have wasted money on the wrong parts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Amen to that. Never again for me. Compare a google search of "faulty propex" and "faulty eberspacher" and as the saying goes, nuff said!
just a quick one, rather than starting a fresh thread i hope no-one minds me asking an eber related question on this thread ?

how has everyone isolated the pump to prevent that awfull ticking noise?

i was considering using and engine mount or something to try and isolate it from the chassis a bit to try and kill at least some of the noise it makes

many thanks
paul :D

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

You can only fit the pump a short distance from the tank the distance from the pump to the heater is not an issue!

The pump can pump a long way, but it can only suck a short distance, about a metre is normal.

Use only the correct pipe from eberspacher anything else WILL cause you problems!!!

Make sure the ends of the pipes butt right up to the ends of the pump, heater fuel inlet and stand pipe. If a small air bubble can get trapped in these places it will. The pump /heater will not then work!

The pump should be on an angle and mounted on rubber too!

I highly recommend Krueger too IMHO they are one of the best service centres out there!
They get all my heaters!

Cheers Trev.

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
just a quick one, rather than starting a fresh thread i hope no-one minds me asking an eber related question on this thread ?

how has everyone isolated the pump to prevent that awfull ticking noise?

i was considering using and engine mount or something to try and isolate it from the chassis a bit to try and kill at least some of the noise it makes

many thanks
paul :D
Hi Paul,

Use a rubber lined "P" clip on a miniture exhaust bobbin. (they are supplied by Eberspacher but can be found loads cheaper in the real world!!!;)

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
659 Posts
With the correct hose used for the whole installation and the pump set at the correct angle the unit should not need any bleeding at all, just turn it on and the pump will self prime in a few clicks and the heater will start up as normal, you only need the priming done if you have a very long hose run but a metre or so should not cause problems. (note this only works with the correct hose, use anything else and your heater may lock out )
The proper hose has a very small bore of about 1.5 mm from memory and that means it contains a very small volume of fuel,which is critical for the whole system, its what the unit and pump is designed to work with ie narrow bore semi rigid pipe that will not expand or contract significantly under pressure or vacuum. if you use any other type of hose ANYWHERE in the system then you can expect problems due to the hose balloning under pressure between the pump and the heater. or sucking itself flat between the tank and the pump.
the proper stuff is not very expensive at all so theres no reason to use anything else, and you can use sections of normal diesel hose just to make the joints.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Hi Paul,

Use a rubber lined "P" clip on a miniture exhaust bobbin. (they are supplied by Eberspacher but can be found loads cheaper in the real world!!!;)

Cheers Trev.
Made up up much the same myself and isolated sound well. in turn fixed the bobbin to a plate which was then rubber mounted to the van.

Just waiting for our local independent eber guys to find out why it stopped working after being installed a week and worked fine on the half dozen time I fired it up :confused:

Not knocking anyone on here, but have never had soooo much conflicting advice concerning anything ( not even women :eek:Rasp:) as much as this damn D2 set-up. I was chuffed to bits when we got it installed and working, with real kind help of guys on here. Just hoping it proves to be simple, although am now a bit concerned about fuel line length and possibly diameter from tank either way apart from afaint click, it's now dead as a doornail.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Everything you need to know is in this document T:

http://www.eberspacher.com/downloads/technical-documents/airtronicD2+D4_technical.pdf

The only problems I had when fitting mine in my old van were due to voltage drop from the battery to the heater

cheers

Gaz
Cheers Gaz, have basically fitted it "by the book" ( that eber document), let's be fair line lengths, exhaust and inlet dimension (length )specs etc can have a bus driven through them, well they appear to allow a big variance in length . Fuel pump is correctly inclined, etc. Voltage is high enough and so on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you know where I can get the fuel pick-up to go into the tank for when i get round to fitting my heater

·
Registered
37 Posts
just in the middle of installing my d2, having trouble trying to figure out what fuel hose to use. It came with some attached to both sides of the pump...one side (PRESSURE SIDE) had a line about 1.5m long and is braided cotton with a line running inside which looks to be about a 1.5mm internal diameter. The other side(INTAKE) has a small piece of hose(50mm long) with a small pipe (1.5mm) attached to it. Comparing it to the manual its very hit and miss.

My heater is under the rear seat so i need to get more hose regardless but haven't a clue what i need to be longer? Also i'm unsure about pump location...am i better closer to heater or fuel tap?

hope this makes some sense

cheers

·
Registered
820 Posts
Right, this is from my eberspacher D2 manual, the one that came with my heater so straight from the horses mouth and accurate:

max distance from pump to heater (using the 2mm id plastic pipe) = 6 metres

max distance from fuel supply to pump (using 5mm id fuel hose OR (2mm id plastic pipe) = 5 metres

·
Registered
805 Posts
im thinking of putting my d2 in the back of my van behind the the R&R bed, will the distance from the tank be an issue? or will it be ok as long as i put the pump close to the tank?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts