VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i've read through alot of options for kitting out the back of my T4 with units and kitchen appliances and i've opted to build my own out of 18mm MDF, then finish it using sticky laminate and some edging. I'm a bit worried about the weight though so we'll see how it goes..

Anyway my 3/4 rock an roll bed is currently being upholstered so i thought i'd get on with starting my units, I've had a rough measure up and i'm not sure if i'm going to manage to get 400 width down the side of the bed, slightly worrying as the SMEV Sink & Hob Combi Unit i plan on using is already 370mm. :confused:

What options did you guys use to get enough space on the work top for appliances? A bit confused on where to start and dimensions at the moment so any advice would be great please!

Thanks in advance T:
Charlie

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Charlie

I had a similar situation when I built my units as a key requirement for us was a 1200mm wide bed. My solution was to extend out the cooker over the bed. See piccies below

Regards

Trevor

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a topping idea pal, thanks A:
I'll have a re-measure up today and see what I can do!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You can build very strong , but light panels , for bases , using 1/8 ply sandwich on a frame , glued . this could be topped with MDF for worktop . Then finish as you want ..

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
Mines a 1275mm cannons forge with Ikea kitchen units, very tight but works a treat, the carcasses are the usual chip board and the doors are MDF no problems with weight and well pleased with the result T:

It worked out to about £325 for the units, check out my build thread for loads of pics etc T:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Charlie!

I bought my Velle already fitted out with a basic camper interior that we used for a year or so but it didn't really work for us so over Winter a couple of years ago

I started stripping it out, thats when I realised how much it weighed :eek:

The rock and roll was covered in 18mm MDF it was crazy heavy so I replaced that with a lightweight board from Magnum

Motorhomes http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/view_product.asp?productID=1137&catID=150&subcatID=

The old 18mm melenate/chipboard units also Unbelievably heavy

I made up my own design interior to suit our own needs

The difference in my Velle's performance is quite noticable I have more storage fitted a high top and it's still faster and more economical than it was.

I wouldn't underestimate what adding weight will do to your vans performance if you're not too bothered go with MDF it's cheep and easy to work with but wear a mask as the dust is nasty stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts