VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As 'Projektzwo' no longer manufacture their quad headlights for the T4, I decided to make some myself. I'm currently in the build stage, but have a couple of questions concerning the test stage. how would I go about connecting the units directly to a car battery including relays and swithes in my workshop ?

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Baggey,

After searching around for what seemed months, I decided to go for a set of VW Golf MKIII quad headlights. obviously I would have to modify them. The general idea is to have the Golf units fit the T4 original surrounds. With a lot of patience and my trusty Dremel, I'm getting there.

As I mentioned on my original post, the next stage will be the wiring. what i am trying to find out is, how can I wire up the headlights directly up to a spare battery that I have in my workshop. I've 'Googled' every search term I could think of, unfortunately, the only info I can find relates to wiring up to vehicle.

Any ideas ?

I'm taking pictures of the procedure as I'm going along, so expect a post here in the comming months.
Cost of the project so far, £90.00.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Just with reference to wiring them up. If you just want test them on the bench you wont need relays. Just connect a positive to the centre pins and a negative to the body of the bulbs.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input upspex. good to here that it's possible. I thought as much.
I read an article a while back, where some guy had managed to run some headlights using a PC power supply. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it. I will need to test the whole system before I install them on my van. That means relays, fuses and switches.

Ideally, what I am trying to acheive is, to leave dip as is, and in high beam, have all four headlight units on. Does that mean I will need four relays ?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
No, two relays will suffice. You will need a diode to connect between the relays to have all four on with main beam.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi,

As 'Projektzwo' no longer manufacture their quad headlights for the T4, I decided to make some myself. I'm currently in the build stage, but have a couple of questions concerning the test stage. how would I go about connecting the units directly to a car battery including relays and swithes in my workshop ?
do you have any pictures yet I:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Baggy,

I regret to say mate, I'm not a quitter :D the project is still very much on !

I've been planning this for quite a while now. there's quite a long way to go yet .... but here's a pic for you. Hope it points you in the right direction. Just a quick run down so far, as I new I was going to be working on this project for quite a while, I decided to mount the original T4 headlight surrounds to a wooden frame. I then searched the web for what seemed an eternity for reasonably priced headlight units.
The ones I decided to go for are in fact VW Golf III quads.
Anyway, I hope I have encouraged you to take the plundge, go for it, make your own. If you sit around waiting for some second hand Projekt Zwo quads to turn up, the chances are they'll be water damaged.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question to upspex Diodes !?

I'm no genius at electronics ( still researching at the mo ) the 'diode' idea, is that to allow the current to flow in one direction only ? how would I go about wiring these up ? does the diode go between the 2 light units, say, the LH ones for example, or between the relay and the high beam ?
Been look for schematic on the net, nothing yet though. can you help ? :(

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yes, connect the diode between the high beam circuit and the relay pin 85.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi mate, I'm really interested in your headlight project. How's it going, would it not be possible to use the headlight wiring out of a scrap mk3 along with the headlights? or am I being a dimly lit clown?

I was considering doing the same conversion so anything you learn will be very helpful.T:

Cheers bud

John.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, project very much still on :D

I had 12 volts running through all four units in high beam, a few weeks back.
From 8 feet away, I could feel the heat off em ! ..... few more minutes, I would of had a suntan :D

The units I'm using are made by Hella, like the ones Morette used to use.

At the moment, the mounting frames are being lazer cut. Until I get those back, I can't progress to the fibre glass mould making stage.

so. going to be a while yet.

TURK.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did this ever get any further wouls love to see some pictures?
Yup ..... DIY Quad Headlight Project very much still on T:

Follow the entire Project here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064 lots of photos on the thread.

The finished product will be very like the ProjektZwo Quad Headlights for the Transporter T4 short nose ......... only much better :D

TURK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts