Hi,

My '95 T4 1.9D needs a service, I've orderded the following

4 x Glow Plugs
Brake Pads
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cabin Filter

What else would you recommend doing... Not done a home service before?

Also - Any horror's I should be wary of with any of the above?

Thanks.

FC..

·
Registered
646 Posts
A great way to get to know your bus. I trust you're changing the oil with the correct grade too? Always best to put on a new sump plug washer when you drop the oil out, pence from any motor factors.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would do the engine oil obviously, and the gearbox oil is EASY to do as well so i change that when im doing a full service.

Additionally i would change brake fluid all round if youre playing with brake pads as its easy enough to do if you're confident.

Only other thing i would do is a thorough check for rust on the underside and inner sills, and give all bolts a good look over to check theyre tight (drive shafts, hubs, ball joints, etc).

Could also make sure your battery and coolant are all in ship shape seeing as winter is just around the corner - and get some wd40 or similar in all external locks to help prevent freezing.

P.s - points to watch out for - remember to fill the oil filter prior to mounting it to the engine.

Also make sure you use axle stands, you dont want the van coming down on you like i recently nearly had happen (my own stupid fault).

·
Registered
260 Posts
personally wouldn't change glow plugs routinely, they are not like spark plugs, and only when they fail,I don't know about a 1.9D but on a 2.5TDI they are near impossible to do, you stand the chance of doing more harm than good, also no doubt all glow plugs now come from China and seem poor quality and seem more likely to fail than glow plugs prob in your van from 10 yrs ago imo

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good Tip:-

Make sure that you undo the gearbox filler plug before you undo the gearbox drain plug and drop the gearbox oil.

If for any reason your filler plug is seized or damaged then you will have no way of refilling your gearbox.:(

Haven't changed the gearbox oil in my T4 yet but now that it is 10 years old i may consider it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, Glow plugs currently ok but last year when it got colder had loads of trouble getting van to start, glow plug light always went out though?

Is there an online guide to fitting filters, glow plugs etc?

FC?

·
Registered
260 Posts
in theory the van should start after glow plug heating time, light on dash is no indicator that they are working. Could also be other reasons why it isn't starting when cold,....and doesn't the 1.9D have a cold start lever?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You should never use WD40 in locks because it washes away any lubricant that is in there..buy some proper graphite suff from a locksmiths..you know it makes sense

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in theory the van should start after glow plug heating time, light on dash is no indicator that they are working. Could also be other reasons why it isn't starting when cold,....and doesn't the 1.9D have a cold start lever?
Yeah but mine has no travel, how is it supposed to work? (Sorry for the bumpy questions)

FC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A great way to get to know your bus. I trust you're changing the oil with the correct grade too? Always best to put on a new sump plug washer when you drop the oil out, pence from any motor factors.
I should add that I've had this van for best part of 5 years and always paid someone to do the work, since moving to Devon I'm taking the bull by the horns and trying to do as much as possible myself - so far so good

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just to hijack the post but we're is the gear box filler plug I can see one on the side it's a 2.4 ....cheers tell me to do one if you want I won't cry lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You should never use WD40 in locks because it washes away any lubricant that is in there..buy some proper graphite suff from a locksmiths..you know it makes sense

Dave
Thumbs up for pulling me on that mate. Advice I had long forgotten!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Before removing the fuel filter have a look at it and memorise/sketch where everything goes and give it a quick clean with a rag.

Fill the new filter with some clean diesel and re-attach. Keeps air out of the system.

If you have a digital camera or phone camera take a snap of the components in situ before whipping bits off.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Some nice advice here fella, however I would just like to add my tuppence worth. :)

TOOLS TOOLS TOOLS, if your going to do work yourself the quality of you tools is all important. Cheap rubbish will and can do more damage than you would think. :(

Buy the best quality kit that you can and if you need a special tool for a job e.g. brake caliper wind back tool then get one as it can save you a mass of grief.

Halfords professional tools are good kit and have a life time guarantee, I know professionals who buy this kit. They also have good deals on at times so it`s worth popping in to keep an eye on things. T:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Thought I'd do an update.

did most of what I wanted, Front Pads, All filters and oil changes.

I thought twice about the glow plug change as, as far as I know they're working, thought I'd give the cold start lever a go first!

Thanks for the advice, all was welcome and needed - fitted a new Oil drain washer..!

Only downside - I realised my Powersteering fluid was low - only topped it up couple of weeks ago, looked underneath while wheels were off and saw that the Gator? on the powersteering rack (long pole on each side of van attached to hub - Assuming its the rack) had split - so thats going to need replacing for MOT and looks a bitch of a job to do.

FC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts