VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year my dual mass flywheel went. As is the standard, i got it and the clutch replaced. BUT....

But after speaking to loads of people i was encouraged to change to a solid state flywheel/clutch kit as they last more than 60k...

But, i hate it. My van is now a nightmare to drive, and as soon as the engine is under stress the whole darn thing shakes like its about to fall apart!
I understand the DMF gets rid of some vibration but this is crazy.... anyone else experienced this?

Do i bit the bullet and change back?

Is the change possible after a conversion?

All i know is that, though i 'can' drive the van, it is not enjoyable what so ever....

all advice considered, including who would do a good job at a reasonable price....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Wow, that really doesn't sound right :-(

Mine has a solid, been in there for about 25k miles, and once you're rolling its totally smooth, smooth changes, nice and easy and completely vibration free, all the way up to non-legal speeds.

If pulling away quickly on an uphill incline when its cold, yes some slight judder as it bites - but only then, like i say once its rolling theres no vibration whatsoever, none at all.

I've still thought about having a DMF next time as I'm not a fan of even that little judder on a hill start, but theres honestly no other issue, its perfectly smooth.

Something doesn't sound right there..

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Volkswagen spend millions on research and development, for some guy to read on a forum about a better idea:*
Really???

With anything there, is always a downside on this forum. My experience is with anything mechanical, keep it how Veedub intented.

The DMF is there for a reason. My advice would be turn it back to stock. Have a search plenty of stuff on here. Some swear a solid conversion is a good idea. Wonder if years down the line they have knackered gearboxes or still driving the same van:confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH when rolling as stated above, it is fine, but on a hill, particularly when pulling away it is crazy.....chairs shake n all sorts... honestly worry that its doing damage some times, and that's trying to drive it carefully...

:(

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Volkswagen spend millions on research and development, for some guy to read on a forum about a better idea:*
Really???

With anything there, is always a downside on this forum. My experience is with anything mechanical, keep it how Veedub intented.

The DMF is there for a reason. My advice would be turn it back to stock. Have a search plenty of stuff on here. Some swear a solid conversion is a good idea. Wonder if years down the line they have knackered gearboxes or still driving the same van:confused:
Exactly - change it back - as for how long DMF's allegedly dont last the one in my T4 made about 220k, the one in my T5 made about 190k - both 2.5's, both driven lraded & used for towing heavy trailers.

The people who don't get many miles out of a clucth are either very unlucky or drivers.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I inherited mine with the van, so no choice there - but would have stuck with DMF personally - and even though I dont think mine is anything like the OPs issue, I'd still opt for DMF when it become relevant..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really???

I second that. Plus I would say that if you inherited the problem it could have been caused by abuse from the previous owner. If someone wants to keep their T5 for a while then a little bit of mechanical sympathy can go a long way as regards longevity of drivetrain etc.
Vans by their very definition are driven by van drivers , who mostly couldn't give a c**p how they treat the vehicle;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys, I've been told if you take the dmf out it can cause problems later on. mains an big ends damaged due to the dmf acting as a crank damper. Taking it off and putting solid on can put it out of balance. Stick with the dmf, luk full clutch fly wheel kit £200 on eBay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So last year my dual mass flywheel went. As is the standard, i got it and the clutch replaced. BUT....

But after speaking to loads of people i was encouraged to change to a solid state flywheel/clutch kit as they last more than 60k...

But, i hate it. My van is now a nightmare to drive, and as soon as the engine is under stress the whole darn thing shakes like its about to fall apart!
I understand the DMF gets rid of some vibration but this is crazy.... anyone else experienced this?

Do i bit the bullet and change back?

Is the change possible after a conversion?

All i know is that, though i 'can' drive the van, it is not enjoyable what so ever....

all advice considered, including who would do a good job at a reasonable price....

Cheers

A mate of mine had a Fabia VRS fitted solid DMF it was shaking itself to bits. When he took it out again he sent to an engineers shop and they found it was out of balance.:eek:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Exactly - change it back - as for how long DMF's allegedly dont last the one in my T4 made about 220k, the one in my T5 made about 190k - both 2.5's, both driven lraded & used for towing heavy trailers.

The people who don't get many miles out of a clucth are either very unlucky or drivers.

i looked at solid flywheels when i did the clutch on my bora last year and was advised against it by a few people who know there stuff............... stuck wit DMF even though the whole kit for a 6 speed bora was near a grand+ vat + fitting,, and that was the first clutch / flywheel at 170k,,, my vans still on its first at 170k as well,,, but standard DMF going back in there as well.....

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
i looked at solid flywheels when i did the clutch on my bora last year and was advised against it by a few people who know there stuff............... stuck wit DMF even though the whole kit for a 6 speed bora was near a grand+ vat + fitting,, and that was the first clutch / flywheel at 170k,,, my vans still on its first at 170k as well,,, but standard DMF going back in there as well.....
Well Chezzy that's outstanding.
Don't think anyone can complain with 170k before a failure. Got 130k on my Seat with DMF with no problems.
These cars cost lots to fix, but if they are reliable 99% of the time, then that suits me fineT:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Well Chezzy that's outstanding.
Don't think anyone can complain with 170k before a failure. Got 130k on my Seat with DMF with no problems.
These cars cost lots to fix, but if they are reliable 99% of the time, then that suits me fineT:
to be honest mate it never failed on me,, the springs in the DMF started to rattle and get a bit noisey,,,,,,
SO THOUGHT IT WAS BEST TO SWAP IT cant complain at 170.000

slumpy monster, that would have been the same clutch kit i was looking at for my bora, there is only one solid flywheel conversion for the 6 speed box and its helix autosport clutch........ i was advised well against that as its fraught with problems,,,, since getting mine replaced with standard VAG ive even seen a crankshaft snap with that set up,,,,,

·
Registered
190 Posts
guys ithink you should listen to stoo, dmf is there for a reason, anyone who thinks its better for the van without it and can prove it should be very wealthy..... short term gain is long term loss!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
BTW I've read in a couple of places that DMF can be killed by lots of running in traffic, especially if you're crawling along & slipping the clutch at idle speed. It can (allegedly) be alleviated by raising the revs before letting the pressure off the clutch pedal.

(needs a few more revs for dynamic balancingof the flywheel?)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Not that I'm an expert, but I thought that DMF was to make the experience with diesels more petrol car like. The DMF would dampen the inherent vibration of a diesel at tickover. Especially felt when the driver would have a hand on the gear lever at tickover.

Personally I like the off-beat vibration of my 5 pot 2.4D lump at tickover. The DMF is like giving the driver a very thick pair of gloves so the little pet wont be subject to a bit of diesel harshness.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
BTW I've read in a couple of places that DMF can be killed by lots of running in traffic, especially if you're crawling along & slipping the clutch at idle speed. It can (allegedly) be alleviated by raising the revs before letting the pressure off the clutch pedal.

(needs a few more revs for dynamic balancingof the flywheel?)
Any clutch can be killed by doing just that !

·
Registered
16 Posts
DMF is the damper & helps with smooth running.

The DMF reduces the vibration out of the crankshaft which helps with engine balance, thus makes engine run smoother.
Also helps with final drive.

I know how expensive these flywheels are to replace as I have replaced a good number over the years, BUT they are essential.

I would not recommend any SMF flywheels in day to day vehcles, as already said, eventually long term damage will occur.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts