VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to understand if I've hooked this thing up correctly. I'm at a loss when it comes to the 2 connections below:

1. The blue cable labelled "antenna 2", it's blanked off, I assume it's for another antenna or possibly a booster? Currently not connected to anything.

2. Not at all sure what this is, couldn't find anything like it in the circuit diagrams in the manual, appears to be some sort of control cable? Currently not connected to anything, couldn't see anywhere it would possibly go?

3. The third I've taken a punt on, and it appears to work but just wanted someone more knowledgeable to confirm my hunch. The white is what I assume is the AM/FM ariel (it was plugged into the original vw head unit), I have just plugged it into the number 2 option of the pink and turqoise plug from the DNX525, it appears to have worked.

Any help much appreciated. :confused:

Thanks,
Brenton

·
Registered
189 Posts
The second antenna input is for a DAB ariel. The other one is for FM. I can't remember which one goes in where.

The black cable with the round end connector goes into the back of the head unit. It is quite hard to push in and I think it might be for the steering wheel controls.

Can anyone help me to understand if I've hooked this thing up correctly. I'm at a loss when it comes to the 2 connections below:

1. The blue cable labelled "antenna 2", it's blanked off, I assume it's for another antenna or possibly a booster? Currently not connected to anything.

2. Not at all sure what this is, couldn't find anything like it in the circuit diagrams in the manual, appears to be some sort of control cable? Currently not connected to anything, couldn't see anywhere it would possibly go?

3. The third I've taken a punt on, and it appears to work but just wanted someone more knowledgeable to confirm my hunch. The white is what I assume is the AM/FM ariel (it was plugged into the original vw head unit), I have just plugged it into the number 2 option of the pink and turqoise plug from the DNX525, it appears to have worked.

Thanks,
Brenton

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts

Thanks,
Brenton
1, you do not need to connect antenna 2 to anything.

2, the black plug plug into socket which is located near the middle, this gives parking sensor display, steering controls, MFD and climate display, on with compatible vehicles

3, aerial connection is correct, there are 2 sockets for T5s with 2 aerials, yours would have had the RCD 210 before.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent thanks of the replies, I had assumed the black one was for steering controls etc. I did actually have a go at putting it in the back of the unit but on inspection they appeared to be slightly different plugs, the top of the plug is a v shaped rebate, whereas the corresponding plug on the unit had a more rectangular rebate. I'll whip it back out and have a look.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I couldn't get that black plug to fit in mine & I've got parking sensors & multi function steering wheel but couldn't work out the connections ??

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I couldn't get that black plug to fit in mine & I've got parking sensors & multi function steering wheel but couldn't work out the connections ??
i must admit the plug is a tight fit..

·
Registered
281 Posts
All good now, pulled the unit out & plug fitted, a bit tight but then you don't really want it falling out after fitting.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A further question here, I think I'm now at the point where everything is connected but I don't get a visual display of the rear parking sensors when reverse is engaged, does anybody know of a setting that I have to enable? Or is it possible my sensors are not compatible?

·
Registered
281 Posts
A further question here, I think I'm now at the point where everything is connected but I don't get a visual display of the rear parking sensors when reverse is engaged, does anybody know of a setting that I have to enable? Or is it possible my sensors are not compatible?
Didn't have to enable anything on mine, just put it in reverse & the the visual display comes up ! Are your sensors factory fit ?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,985 Posts
Assuming the unit has never been fitted in another vehicle (in which case you may need to reset the CANbus adaptor), it should just be a matter of the two multi-way plugs into the side of the adaptor and plugging the round plug fully into the back of the headunit. First time I tried it felt like it was fully in, but my rear sensors did not show up, as it was not in all the way.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, I've checked all my plugs and am fairly confident that they are all in correctly and rammed home. As for the sensors I'm not fully confident they are factory they are not the standard vw looking type, although I'm similarly unsure if VW only have one type. I'm wondering if its possible the sensors were connected incorrectly at the start. A little lost as to where to go next.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Right, I've checked all my plugs and am fairly confident that they are all in correctly and rammed home. As for the sensors I'm not fully confident they are factory they are not the standard vw looking type, although I'm similarly unsure if VW only have one type. I'm wondering if its possible the sensors were connected incorrectly at the start. A little lost as to where to go next.
I'm afraid they are not factory sensors.....:(

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does that mean it's terminal as far as getting the display up and running goes? Surely the unit works with more that one type of sensors?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,985 Posts
You can be pretty sure it won't work with non-factory sensors. The VW sensor system "talks" over CAN, and there's little chance that an aftermarket set would do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Does that mean it's terminal as far as getting the display up and running goes? Surely the unit works with more that one type of sensors?

Besides the factory sensors there is a kit from Lazerline that will display on the radio...

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mmm, probably got better things to spend my money on first me thinks. Thanks for the advice, perhaps it's something I'll come back to in the future, like if I ever need a new rear bumper.
:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts