VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2015 T5 campervan conversion and am planning to fit two AGM leisure batteries to increase my off grid power storage.

But I've been warned that I will also need to upgrade my alternator or run the risk of overheating in the alternator or regulator? I see that Californias come from the factory with 2 leisure batteries and a bigger 180W alternator, but is this to avoid the overheating problem or just to charge the batteries more quickly?

So can I stick with my existing standard alternator or must I upgrade?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Check the battery manufacturer's recommended maximum charging current, usually no more than approx. 30 amps for the agm 100AH leisure type, so at max recommended 30 amps x 2 = 60 amps, your alternator is probably 120 or 150 amps, so should easily cover the aux batteries and other usual vehicle needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to find that out it seems. Replacements from local suppliers range from 110W to 140W.

My batteries are both 90 AH.

It sounds like it wouldn't be a problem, though.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Your standard alternator will be fine. Bigger alternators are not for charging bigger batteries! They are simply there to supply power demands of on board equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts