VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Sorry for the newb question - but would any 16" steel wheels be load rated for a transporter.

i.e. from a Caddy van ?

Can I assume that because they are steel they suitable for any vehicle ??

Many thanks,
Gareth

2002 VW T4 2.5 Tdi LWB - camper converted.
Currently running 18" (very uncomfortable) hence the above question!

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Folks,

Sorry for the newb question - but would any 16" steel wheels be load rated for a transporter.

i.e. from a Caddy van ?

Can I assume that because they are steel they suitable for any vehicle ??

Many thanks,
Gareth

2002 VW T4 2.5 Tdi LWB - camper converted.
Currently running 18" (very uncomfortable) hence the above question!
Hi Gareth, short answer is NO.

Steel wheels (steel is an alloy remember), have load rating limitations just like everything else. Obviously with running a LWB TDI you checked the 18" wheels you are currently using, and the load rating (index if you like) of the tyres too.

In simple terms, half the heavy axle (sticker under the bonnet), is your MINIMUM target for both; to stay safe T:T:T:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
What about 16" Merc Vito steel wheels ?
Colese is the man for those ............. not sure what they are rated at to be honest.

Even the T4 16" steels when they were available, were just a little on the 'light' side.

P.S. nice to see a member from my original part of the world :):):):):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks,

Thanks for the replies and info - I was scanning through the Wheels sections and found a few other answers eventually in line with what has been stated above.

I bought the van out of the Mainland UK (I am in Belfast, Northern Ireland ) and didn't know much about wheels until I started to look here.
My 18" alloys are not load rated - I presume they are from a car as they have a 680 Kgs rating on them.
So I want to get down to more comfortable 16" Steels or Alloys that are correctly load rated for the van!

Thanks again!
Gareth...T:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The 2003 T4 had 16 inch wheels.
Mine has too (but alloys) T:T:

The 16" VW T4 steels were rated a little light (no longer available new anyway). Remember all vehicles from the factory with 16" or larger wheels had some different body components too.

OP, 16" is a good choice, with a huge selection of tyres too (summer, winter, all seasons) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts