VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for some advice from those in the know! T:

I'm looking at the possibility of fitting the larger nozzles to my 102 Tdi. My question is, do I have to get it remapped or is it just advisable to get the best out the larger injectors?? I know if its remapped it's have more power and be less smokey but I live in the middle of no where and cant justify a 1000 mile round trip for a remap. If I just fit the bigger injectors will I get a slight power increase? Would there be any downsides? I currently have a straight through stainless system & free flow filter.

Another thought I had was getting an exchange ecu from someone in the know and get round the remapping issue it this way? Is this possible and who would I speak to to get this done??

Thanks in advance for all the help!! :ILU:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Someone more knowledgable will give you advise about the long term effects, I can only tell you my experience.

My van was a stock 88 Bhp. I blanked EGR, fitted stainless steel exhaust, then had the larger Bosch injectors fitted. I ran like that for a good 4 months (for the same reasons as you - distance/time for remap) with no problems and noticeably increased power.

I then took it to get remapped (Pendle). Pre-remap with the mods above I think it was already 111BHp baseline. After remap it was 140BHp.

My general view though is that while you can do it, you are really missing out by not getting your van properly remapped. The van was totally transformed after remap.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
With bigger injectors your fuelling will be incorrect and over fuel causing smoke which will fail mot and most likley give the local plod a reason to have a few words also will over time damage your engine so remap is my advise T:

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
With bigger injectors your fuelling will be incorrect and over fuel causing smoke which will fail mot and most likley give the local plod a reason to have a few words also will over time damage your engine so remap is my advise T:
We recently fitted PP2 injectors to an 88bhp T4 along with SS exhaust, K&N filter, EGR blank and intercooler, we then serviced it and presented for an MOT......It passed with no advisories, nor did it smoke anymore than any other set up T4 ;)

The larger injectors made it idle in a manner I can only describe as being like the Tazmanian Devil I:

We then sent it to be Pendled and it now pulls like a train and is smooth on idle and running.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys this is the kind of info i'm looking for! A:

Anyone else been running larger nozzles without a remap for any prolonged period of time??

Regarding the idle being off. Is there some way to sort this without a remap?? :*

·
6,671 Posts
Hi hubba,

Let me answer your question with our experience.

If yours is a 102 as standard I can pretty much guarantee an extra 30 bhp and little or no smoke with no idle issues at all that you can run indefinitely without a remap.

We don;t sell nozzles alone for the reason that they will then smoke and be erratic and unsettled at the least. We have over the years refined our injectors to the point that they Bosch PP1's no longer require idle adjustment and hardly smoke if at all.

If yours is an 88 bhp as standard and you go for the PP2's then you will need to adjust the idle via vag com - its not a big long job at all to do but in some cases a slight pump mod is required which is explained here -

How To Adjust the Idle fuelling after bigger injectors are fitted

But as long as you manage to stabilise the idle you can also run these without remap but the gains are not as high as the PP1's without a remap.

In all cases the ideal is to have them remapped but if you cannot, then it is possible to run our injector without.

I hope that helps.

Ron.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let me answer your question with our experience.

If yours is a 102 as standard I can pretty much guarantee an extra 30 bhp and little or no smoke with no idle issues at all that you can run indefinitely without a remap.

We don;t sell nozzles alone for the reason that they will then smoke and be erratic and unsettled at the least. We have over the years refined our injectors to the point that they Bosch PP1's no longer require idle adjustment and hardly smoke if at all.

If yours is an 88 bhp as standard and you go for the PP2's then you will need to adjust the idle via vag com - its not a big long job at all to do but in some cases a slight pump mod is required which is explained here -

How To Adjust the Idle fuelling after bigger injectors are fitted

But as long as you manage to stabilise the idle you can also run these without remap but the gains are not as high as the PP1's without a remap.

In all cases the ideal is to have them remapped but if you cannot, then it is possible to run our injector without.

I hope that helps.

Ron.
hi mate ..how much are the nozzles for the 102 hp 2003 model t4..are they easy to fit ? and what will the power be after a pendle?

·
6,671 Posts
hi mate ..how much are the nozzles for the 102 hp 2003 model t4..are they easy to fit ? and what will the power be after a pendle?

Hi jasibus,

If you click the project power 1 link in my signature all will be revealed.

To answer your question directly, the injectors come complete after having been manufactured and fitted with our nozzles.
They are then calibrated to flow the same amount of fuel and shipped ready to fit including new seals etc.

This is a lot better than fitting your own nozzles as if you fit your own the opening pressures spray pattern and atomization is all over the place.

The total price for the PP1's is now £295 and may rise slightly soon due to increases in the prices of parts required to recondition the injectors, but for the next few weeks they are £295 complete.

The power yield from these is between 150 and 170 bhp depending on vehicle condition and other mods.

This is what you get -

Fitting is pretty straight forward and instructions are supplied. 95% of our customers fit their own and get great satisfaction from doing so.

Just for interest here is the flow test result for a set of injectors before and after calibration.

Before calibration - just fit nozzles.

After calibration - Flow tested and adjusted.

As you can see, the flow measured in Liters per min is 50% higher after calibration.

Many thanks.

Ron.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No, it does not work like that ! Fitting larger nozzles will allow the pump to inject more fuel within a shorter time frame which means the fuel will atomize better and burn more efficiently ! As a result you get more power and slight increase in fuel economy. If you drive just like before you won't notice any difference to fuel consumption, however going fast will cost you money so expect a Mpg decrease if you drive like a loony all the time.
My 300Bhp audi a6 tdi does better on the fuel than with the standard set-up. I now have 80% larger injector nozzles, larger, more efficient turbocharger and a better flowing/breathing engine. My fuel economy is almost the same as before...

·
6,671 Posts
Good idea to check the date of this thread James, its over a year old and prices have since gone up in line with the cost of materials.

Kind regards
Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had PP1's off rake and they are amazing, I have been running for 8 months still on standard ecu map. Does it have to be mapped on a rolling road due to having to alter pump etc (although I have adjusted pump timing to spot on spec) or can I have a static remap done via quantum ? as I can get them cheaper. ps I am unable to alter injector fueling any more and hammer mod not working (running at 2.75mg) need a good 3.5mg. Would the remap sort this ?

·
6,671 Posts
Hi vwplymer,

Firstly I would recommend only a custom map. So,e of the viezu mappers have succeeded some have failed, the custom remap takes the doubt out of it. Try a Pendle agent ;0)

Regarding the hammer mod not working - I bet its the wrong bolts undone that account for that and a common mistake.
The security bolt on top, then the other 3 torx bolts to undo are on the next level down from the top. Not on the same cover as the security bolt.

Be sure to scribe the original position on with a blade and set vag com back to 32768 before doing the mod.

And yes it can be done with the remap

Hope that helps and thank you for the feedback

Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Ron.
Yes I did undo the 3 torque plus security bolt thinking that was it, so I will have another look.
Thanks again T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
We recently fitted PP2 injectors to an 88bhp T4 along with SS exhaust, K&N filter, EGR blank and intercooler, we then serviced it and presented for an MOT......It passed with no advisories, nor did it smoke anymore than any other set up T4 ;)

The larger injectors made it idle in a manner I can only describe as being like the Tazmanian Devil I:

We then sent it to be Pendled and it now pulls like a train and is smooth on idle and running.
Hi sorry to comment on an old thread but I'm currently having the same issue with my idle being terrible now the 150 injectors are fitted to my 88bhp engine I've had a basic map done but the guy said I have the error code 01314, should I address this code or is it being caused by the bad idle and would be getting the fuel pump set up correctly be the next step before shelling out fo the ECU from a 150bhp model

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is that P-code still showing after the faults have been cleared? It's normally connected to the ecu itself, if that's at fault you'll struggle to do much. If you changed the ecu to the 150bhp other parameters may be effected as you'd need to make sure the sensors were the same.
Your idle is poor due to injection quantity at idle. Does it get better when revving? You can attempt to reduce injection quantity in VCDS at idle but you have to write numbers down & nudge a little at a time between testing it for smoothness. Even then you may get a little shudder/hunting coming back down to idle after revving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts