VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
I think it should be made a "Sticky" at the top of the Forum threads list that EVERYONE with a T4 that has an ECU should spend the 150 quid to invest in VCDS!
Cheap (OLD laptop), 10 quid OBDII lead and then register ($99) VCDS with RossTech.
The best tool you can own. (1 guy on another post would have saved a £200 bill from a garage if he'd had it....)

If you're gonna book your into a garage.....you'd probably end up paying the same...and most "garages" don't know how to set them up anyway!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it should be made a "Sticky" at the top of the Forum threads list that EVERYONE with a T4 that has an ECU should spend the 150 quid to invest in VCDS!
Cheap (OLD laptop), 10 quid OBDII lead and then register ($99) VCDS with RossTech.
The best tool you can own. (1 guy on another post would have saved a £200 bill from a garage if he'd had it....)

If you're gonna book your into a garage.....you'd probably end up paying the same...and most "garages" don't know how to set them up anyway!
Ok.
So if I understand you right I will need :
  • VCDS software that will cost 150 £
  • OBDII - cable (usb) 10 £
  • Register with Ross-Tech 99$
And when I have done this I can adjust most values for the car. In my case a 2003 T4 TDI ?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
No....TOTAL cost would be £150. (Including a laptop!)
VCDS is FREE, but you need to register it to do timing and more major functions.
If you have a laptop, you just need the OBDII lead and register the software. (Free download from RossTech site)

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK.
But if I remember correct I have seen somewhere on the net that there can be a problem if you buy a cheap OBDII-cable, that you can not do all functions and you need a sertified cable by Ross-tech, is this true?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
Nope....
My 1st cable cost me £27....12 years ago (eventually the cable broke).
2nd one was 11 quid from ebay.
OK, if you want ALL functions, you need the genuine FULL VCDS, but the LITE version does 99% of what any owner requires. (And MORE than the unit used by most garages..that are "generic" for vehicle makes.)

My laptop lives under the back seat in my van....I never go anywhere without it.

All you need is a cable, the drivers for it, and the LITE version of VCDS Registered.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts