VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to make a few alterations to our garage.

The garage is at the bottom of the drive, separate from the house, about 5 meters away.

Basically, we are having a move around in the kitchen and I want to move the washing machine and dryer into the garage.
Which means digging a 750mm deep trench from the back door to the garage for lagged piping for water supply and water drain.

Plus, I want a side door in the garage, as it only has the standard garage door on it right now, for easier access.

Not going to be living in there or anything, or altering the look of the garage. Just want to put a side door in it.
The door would not be seen from the road or neighbours due to where I want it.

Do I need to talk to the council or anything for something like this? :*

Cheers peeps... T:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
na just go for it .... most new build garages have services running to it any way.....

does your garage have gutters and down pipes? you could run your waste into that

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sounds very unlikely, you're only installing some services and changing the door - but I would ring the council and check just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
128 Posts
na just go for it .... most new build garages have services running to it any way.....

does your garage have gutters and down pipes? you could run your waste into that

One thing to be wary of, is to make sure that if you plumb your washing machine into a down pipe that it's going to a foul sewer and not into a surface water sewer.

The Local Authority or Environment Agency will be after you if your washing machine discharges into the local watercourse.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

One thing to be wary of, is to make sure that if you plumb your washing machine into a down pipe that it's going to a foul sewer and not into a surface water sewer.

The Local Authority or Environment Agency will be after you if your washing machine discharges into the local watercourse.

Champernav is spot on. I DO have drains for the gutters on the garage but I know I can't use them, as they are soakaway drains.

I am pretty sure I should be fine. Apparently it has to be a fire door though.... :*

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds very unlikely, you're only installing some services and changing the door - but I would ring the council and check just to be on the safe side.
No, I am ADDING a door to the side of the garage, not replacing one.
Think it might have to be a fire door. :)

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
:) I have nothing constructive to add other than that is a VERY deep trench I:

Chris

·
Registered
694 Posts
No, I am ADDING a door to the side of the garage, not replacing one.
Think it might have to be a fire door. :)
Ah I see. I'm sure the fire door requirement is only where it adjoins a habitable room. In our case we had to replace the side kitchen door with a fire door when we had the (attached) garage built. I think that comes under Building Regs not planning.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Think all of the above are correct!
I built a double garage at bottom of garden at my last house.
Got away with no planning/ regs because It is more than 10m from my house / more than 1.5m away from all boundry's / less than 30sq m floor area (29.8 to be prescise) & made of a non combustable material!
Last point most relevent here, I used 9" x 12" hollow "clinker" blocks & insulated double skin euro sheet steel roof!
Not sure if regs will be needed as I assume u have a timber roof?
Not a builder, but did the whole thing on my own & it was the only thing I was sorry to leave when I sold the house!
Anyway I would agree & say just do it!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for that info Glynn.

Yup it is a tile roof with a wooden A-Frame structure.
but from the research I have been doing, I don;t need a fire door as it is a separate building.

·
Registered
39 Posts
had some of experiance of this if you ask for planning permision they take your money and probably say yes there is another way and it is to take photos and make sketch of your proposal and send it to panning with the request that can you please confirm this is PERMITTED works. it makes it difficult to warrant taking your money if it obviously does not. cheers les

·
Registered
128 Posts
East Riding Council have a planning enquiry form, similar to some other posts, you send in sketches notes, dimensions etc and they'll tell you if it's permitted. Your LA may do something similar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts