VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil filter on my 2.4D 1994 caravelle, when I found this bit rattling around - not attached to anything, so I pulled it out. Do I need it? The answer is probably yes, but it seems to be broken on the corners, so I need to know what it is so that I can get another one, and then find out how to fit it!

Many thanks,

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's a mini drip tray for when you remove the oil filter, designed to prevent oil running onto the crankcase and smoking. It goes behind the oil cooler housing so isn't too easy to replace. It's really not important if you have a can of brake cleaner and wash the oil off after replacing the filter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a mini drip tray for when you remove the oil filter, designed to prevent oil running onto the crankcase and smoking. It goes behind the oil cooler housing so isn't too easy to replace. It's really not important if you have a can of brake cleaner and wash the oil off after replacing the filter.
Great! Thank you for telling me. That sort of makes sense. I need to give the underside a good clean anyway. Brake cleaner or engine degreaser - do these do pretty much the same thing? I was planning on using engine degreaser, but if you reckon brake cleaner would be better...

Thanks again,

Simon

·
Registered
108 Posts
No problem. (y)

They both do the same thing really. I find engine degreaser is cheaper in the long run but you have to apply it with a brush and hose it down afterwards. It leaves a strange water repellant residue on the surface - a bit like kerosene and this evaporates slowly.

Brake cleaner usually comes in a can and I find the blasting action gets the oil and crud off very quickly, and it dries fast with no residue at all. It will work out more expensive though but personally I like the convenience.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,981 Posts
No problem. (y)

They both do the same thing really. I find engine degreaser is cheaper in the long run but you have to apply it with a brush and hose it down afterwards. It leaves a strange water repellant residue on the surface - a bit like kerosene and this evaporates slowly.

Brake cleaner usually comes in a can and I find the blasting action gets the oil and crud off very quickly, and it dries fast with no residue at all. It will work out more expensive though but personally I like the convenience.
Apart from on your drive....:eek:

If you have a "block-stone" drive....you can never get it clean....don't ask how I know!
If you have a tarmac drive, be aware it does MELT the tarmac....again...don't ask how I know!
(Yeah, I have 2 drives, one in each finish...)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Heh, that's why over the years I've learned to use a large cat litter tray with tray liners. Big enough to catch most splashes and no cleanup afterwards!

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,981 Posts
Heh, that's why over the years I've learned to use a large cat litter tray with tray liners. Big enough to catch most splashes and no cleanup afterwards!
Yeah, but I have the habit of tripping over something and dropping the tray! :eek:
Another disaster I've had this winter (and I don't understand why!) is that I had 3 "bottles" (the original oil containers) just "resting" near the garage until I got around to going to the tip.......ONE of them decided to split in the freezing temps...OIL should NOT expand like water does, but one container split down the side....resulting in 4 litres of black oil all over the drive, the part of the drive I have to walk over to get to the garage!!!!
Can't do anything about it until spring though.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts