VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been offered a set of 17" Compomotive RL1770 Alloy wheels for my T4 but would like some advice as to whether they might catch on the bodywork or mechanicals.

They are 7J x17 rims with ET 38 and have 10 holes to allow for different PCDs'. They have VW centre caps.

Tyres are decent 225/50/17 and are rated 98 so should be Ok weitght wise.

The seller says that they fit his van fine but I would like to ask the experts regarding bodywork clearance and also weight related issues.

The only photos I have show them fitted to a Jet black T4 like the one I have so i don't have any close up photos.

What do you think?.

Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi matey.
I run 7.5J x 17s with the same tyre size as you with an ET of 35 and I've experienced no problems what so ever. I'm no expert but, as long as your PCD fitting works out I recon you should be fine. Might be worth checking the load rating of them too...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the load rating is.

The seller gave me this information which is stamped on the inside of the rims.

7Jx17
ET38
PO
XO
OO

Thanks

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Please forgive me for stating the obvious.

Do you like them?

If so, then why do you need anyone else's permission / blessing?

As long as they fit (which they do) and the tyres are load rated (which they are) and they don't scrub (which, it seems, they won't) then just go with your gut instinct.................

T:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and opinions.T:

I do like the look of the alloys especially on a Black T4 like mine.:)

I have found an email address for Compomotive so have asked them to provide me with the load rating so fingers crossed they will be Ok for a T4.

As for the ride height of my T4.I:

How low would be acceptable?.

If I were to lower the height then I think the underside would be scraping on all of the many stupid speed humps that we have around our town.:(

I was thinking of fitting wheel spacers so my T4 could straddle the silly narrow humps that are placed three abreast accross the street.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taylor.

Very Nice example you have there.T:

I will keep my eye out for your VW, as I work and drive around the Bury area most days but not always in my T4.

My main aim regarding mods for my T4 are a Remap to 120 Bhp, some Alloys and maybe an 'A' Bar then maybe look to lower the ride heightdepending how much the insurance goes up.

Best insurance premium quoted so far is £630 fully comp for alloys, 'A' bar and a remap so I could ask about lowering too.

Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gutted.:(

Just had a reply from Compomotive.

The RL1770 wheels have a load rating of only 500Kg so not suitable for a VW Transporter.

Just have to keep looking then.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So glad you checked those load ratings. You would have been gutted if you'd learned that one shortly after you bought them. Sorry bud - they looked good too!

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
sorry those wont do the job mate but if your in and around bury bud try vivid wheels at the bottom of bell lane hes called jimmy....thats where my wheels came from..hes got a web site so you can look him up 2 if you wish....he does new and second handT:T:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts