VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my bus is about to go for conversion, I was wondering how many buses use a waste tank from the sink/hob and how many just have a drain to connect to waste tank on site?

If a waste tank is used, where can you get them from and where do they mount?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just a drain. With no shower and only a sink it seems easier to empty a container than looking for somewhere to empty the tank.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Like he said, your just carrying more weight about, as my wife has told me on numerous occations "there is a limit you know"LOL:

·
Registered
101 Posts
CAK Tanks Kenilworth do a 20L underslung waste tank that fits under the side door step for around £80 (last year) that is an easy DIY fitting - you will need longer U bolts than supplied - or they now have an onsite fitting service.
Living in the van full time I find it makes wild camping and using carparks/ picnic areas much more discreet : www.sastt.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool.

So, for those that don't have one fitted, do you just slide a container under the side of the van and let a tube drain into it to empty at the end of the day / weekend?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Our van came with a waste tank. Upside is that you're totally self-contained and you don't have to remember to put a bucket under it, downside is that you have to find somewhere to empty it. Easy on sites with proper facilities, less so otherwise. I'm in the middle of upgrading the crappy tiny plastic drain tap to a 1.5in slide valve underneath for the full "forest fire quenching" effect where there's a suitable grid to dump it into. There'll be a bayonet-fitting 40mm drain hose if I can't park right over it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am tempted to get a tank fitted, as I'll often be camping at Santa Pod raceway in the pits on solid concrete, and the thought of having to set up a bucket etc and hope it doesn't blow away or tip over etc doesn't appeal. I like the idea of being full self contained.

What sort of capacity will suffice for just the usual washing up, brushing teeth, washing face over a long weekend ?

Are there any suitable for a T4 other than the CAK tanks?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am tempted to get a tank fitted, as I'll often be camping at Santa Pod raceway in the pits on solid concrete, and the thought of having to set up a bucket etc and hope it doesn't blow away or tip over etc doesn't appeal. I like the idea of being full self contained.

What sort of capacity will suffice for just the usual washing up, brushing teeth, washing face over a long weekend ?

We have been away for 3 months on Aires and Wild camping and I would say 5-8ltrs of waste per day.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Here's my setup...easy to get out to empty and self containedT:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think ours is 17L and easily lasts a weekend with four of us.

Ours was fitted as part of the conversion (it's an Autohomes "factory" job), I don't know if it was otherwise available or an Autohomes custom job. It's a sort of trapezoid shape that fits just ahead of the rear wheels on the right hand side -- there's a fresh tank on the sliding door side.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I still dont understand why your useing up valuble space inside to carry dirty water. Toothpaste water! spit it on the ground, washing water, through it on the floor the amount of contaminated water destroying the "water table" must be minimal!
people used to bath in rivers!:D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My waste exits under the van. If its not too much I just let it drain onto the floor, at campsites I have a 20L plastic jerry can with a pipe that attaches to the outlet and the whole lot sits under the van.

Stops any smells and keeps space free inside the van.

Sometimes the best ideas are the simple onesT:

·
Registered
596 Posts
For my waste, I put the waste pipe through the floor, then use a 5 litre flexible water tank for the waste (like this). This lasts a few days, and when I leave the site, I empty it, fold it flat and stick in with the gas cylinders until I need it again. Periodically, I clean it with bleach, but when it gets too bad, I bin it and get another

Regards

Trevor

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Am I the only one that has a pipe going through the floor and just let the washing up water go on the grass:D

1,094 Posts
Andy, your van will have the waste pipe going through the floor, it will be connected to a waste point just under the van which will run into a wastemaster tank, these tanks are made to fit under vans, this saves having to collect waste water inside.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts