VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after driving my 1.9 t5 for a week i kinda miss driving my 2.5 t4 , anyone else miss theres :*

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup had my T5 about 6 weeks now. It drives superb, its more comfy than my T4 and is a lot quieter . Power is just a laugh compared to my lowly 1.9td .... it feels like a rocketship in comparison. BUT.... its not as solid as my T4 and definitely not as compact looking. The T4 just looked smaller, the T5 is a bit bloby !!! But I do love it too

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, kind of. Loved my old T4. Built like a tank, solid and ultra reliable. Never missed a beat or let me down.

Newish to me T5 drives nicer than the T4 but feels flimsier in comparison. Like most things these days, it's been built down to a price. Almost everything feels and sounds thinner. I'm sure the VW design engineers did their best but then, as usual, the accounts department had the final say on spec and materials, etc.

Saying all that, I wouldn't go back

·
Registered
406 Posts
...no, for actual driving there's no comparison, my 1.9TD has much better performance than all my T4's, even though I never had a 2.5.
Otherwise, the only difference is that I'm much more careful - read paranoid - about parking it...our camper cost a fortune, and even after a year I'm still well aware of the value of it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
well after driving my 1.9 t5 for a week i kinda miss driving my 2.5 t4 , anyone else miss theres :*

I really liked my T4 for 15 years?! :) But! now I love my new T5 everything is much better, comfort, acceleration, braking,
performance, ride, CD, MPG, and I don't miss the 5 speed manual? The 7 speed automatic is soooo smooth?!! :D

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I've had my 2.5/130 for a few years now & it is superb.

However, I miss the gear lever on the floor (where it should be) & the turbo whistle when it was working hard - I also miss the way you could drive it with real gusto.

My old T4 was a 2.5/102.

·
Registered
65 Posts
my t5 is light years better than t4 in every way except reliability lol - but dont you think the t4 has a better front end than the t5, and the t5.1 front end is similar to the t4 as if vw has tried to turn the clock back ?

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Even though the t5 is a bit expensive to run I still prefer it over the t4..as said 2.5 to a 1.9 is where you've gone wrong. Doesn't matter how much remapping you do it still won't get the torque like the 5 pot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 2.4 lhd westy i bout in Germany! it was a lovely drive apart from acceleration But so so reliable! . Now i have a 1.9 T5 i love it too' a much better van! but riddeld with Niggels. all ecetrical !! But i wouldn't go back to the T4!:D

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
My 96 t4 had dodgy heater cables, broke the catches on the sliding windows and the gearbox was making rushing sounds at 50000 miles even with the base 1.9td engine. It was also showing a few signs of rust when I sold it in 2007. I don't really miss it apart from the fact it was only £6k worth and was still very practicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't miss my old t4 because I still have it but it ain't a patch on my 5 to drive as for reliability I can't say there is much in it but I have spend the same amount on the 4 in the last 2 months as I have the 5 in 2 yrs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts