VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

681 - 700 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I had the first replacement under the TPI, according to VW, which was carried out on the 17th July, a week later than originally promised as no parts in the UK at the time. Think it helped that I actually manage to get through to the guy in charge of customer service for VW commercials, believe me that took some doing!

The whole column was replaced again (forth one since I got the van in 2013), I've now had the part on the van since that date in July, covered 3500 miles and not had a single knock or weird feeling through the steering since it was done. Weather has now reached the point when it would have been at its worst and still nothing, so I think they may well have got it sorted.

It may just be in my head but the van feels much nicer to drive, feels like all the previous VWs I've owned, which it didn't before.

Thanks to Citygate at Wooburn Green, excellent service from them, all done on time and lovely high end T5 LWB DSG van to try out whilst they sorted mine.

Suitable arrangement agreed with VW for the hassles and time taken to repair.. All happy....so far

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had mine replaced FOC recently despite being out of warranty (61 plate September 2011).
This was because I reported the fault when it was in for a service a couple of years ago, at that time there was no fix available so nothing was done. As it was on the system VW agreed to replace the column.

·
Registered
2 Posts
T5.1 2013 .low mileage. In warenty.....Winter coldness returned and so did the knock .that got me reminded to get back in touch with VW.
Well! So far so good. Had my Steering column knock part changed a week ago and seems fine . VW Main dealer needed a bit more pushing to get it actioned after being reported and logged over a year and half ago
They said yes we have a fix. Book it in . So well done V dub. Hope it remains knock free for good.A:
I posted on this thread some time ago. Good luck to the rest of you on an effective repair. And thanks for the knowledge and effort of the guy who started this thread. Have a good Xmas all *<:)>
Mr Happy for now

·
Registered
236 Posts
T5.1 2013 .low mileage. In warenty.....Winter coldness returned and so did the knock .that got me reminded to get back in touch with VW.
Well! So far so good. Had my Steering column knock part changed a week ago and seems fine . VW Main dealer needed a bit more pushing to get it actioned after being reported and logged over a year and half ago
They said yes we have a fix. Book it in . So well done V dub. Hope it remains knock free for good.A:
I posted on this thread some time ago. Good luck to the rest of you on an effective repair. And thanks for the knowledge and effort of the guy who started this thread. Have a good Xmas all *<:)>
Mr Happy for now
Do you know exactly what they replaced? I've had mine in 3 times now, after the third visit they said they change a suspension arm, and baring. (drivers side) as soon as I picked it up noticed it was exactly the same. Rang them up and said, now I've gotta go back and take a guy round the block in my van to show him.

Any info I can relay would be much appreciated as taking in back AGAIN is a pain in the a$$ without knowing they'll fix it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
VW had my van for 4 weeks, had it back just before Christmas, VW said that they fount play in shock absorber mountings which caused the steering to clunk, they replaced the top mountings. the steering still clunks, booked back in with VW Birmingham on February 5th. will keep you informed

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just had my steering column replaced by dealer under warranty. I quoted the TPI code from earlier in this thread and after some consideration they have finally agreed to do the job. It is relief because for last two years I've been saying there's a fault but it has not really been acknowledged.

First impressions are good but then I've only done a few miles going back home in it. I did put it through its paces though - slow speed as if doing parking manoeuvres - going full lock to straighten to opposite full lock , forwards then repeat backwards etc. My old one would knock without fail doing this so I'm a happy bunny tonight.

I will post again on here in a few months to give an update on how it's going.

:cheers:cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does this steering knock just affect the T5.1 as I have a T5 2005 Shuttle and experiencing the similar knocking symptoms as described in this thread.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,957 Posts
Just had my steering column replaced under warranty by SMG in Cowfold. No arguments from them, and a very good job too - it was all done in under 4 hours and they lent me a nice new T6 while it was being done. Very pleased with the service from SMG.

However... I'll reserve judgement on whether VW's "fix" is a long term one until I've done a few more thousand winter miles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know how you all got on with this KNOCKING, I have taken in my vehicle previously and was fobbed off by being told this was caused by temperature drop.
I have booked my vehicle back in!

I have just had a conversation with a pleasant chap at VW customer care (phone number can be found on line)

It is a known issue , there is now a fix.
Your van centre should know this and recall any vehicles that have registered a defect/issue .

(concerned about being fobbed off again I've asked for an email to confirm his comments)

Previously they had stopped any works on the steering column as the fault would re appear a couple of hundred miles later.

Will keep you posted with the outcome, visit is booked for 20th of this month!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blimey, I'd given up on this ever getting fixed. Now I am out of warranty I need to argue my case with dealer/VW that I reported it during warranty and they changed the steering rack - to no avail, so they should do the right thing and fix it FOC. Is there a reference for the fix that I can waive in front of them please?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is there a reference for the fix that I can waive in front of them please?
Try TPI 2040732/1

My fix is holding up just fine so far. We're doing North coast of Scotland and then Hebrides in July so plenty of miles coming before cooler weather returns. Mine was always far worse in Autumn. I will report back any changes.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wow I'd forgotten about this one!

Sometime last year VW let me know there wa a fix. I booked the van in and it was done. Long forgotten now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
took mine in for examination yesterday and they said that it was the strut top mount. they have booked me in and are going to change it. I will update this post as it progresses. 2014 van with 18,000mls.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
my T5 has the knock at low speeds only...noticed at 103,000 mls....is out of warranty, so looking for a fix :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
took mine in for examination yesterday and they said that it was the strut top mount. they have booked me in and are going to change it. I will update this post as it progresses. 2014 van with 18,000mls.
UPDATE.....both strut top mounts have been replaced. will see how it goes and update this post. T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Johnyo

I know this is an old feed however can you or anyone else advise if replacing both top mount struts worked? I have a 2005 T30 130bph transporter which has a loud knocking sound coming from the steering. It has had this since i bought it 3 years ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Johnyo

I know this is an old feed however can you or anyone else advise if replacing both top mount struts worked? I have a 2005 T30 130bph transporter which has a loud knocking sound coming from the steering. It has had this since i bought it 3 years ago.

Thanks
I had the knocking sound with the van less than a year old, I put a post up at the time. The noise went after a while ( I do not know if the dealer did anything when I took it in for a service ). However it developed a creaking noise when driving slowly over rough roads and speed humps. After a couple of times back to dealers they replaced the offside top strut bearing, (something I read about on the forum but the VW dealer mechanic dismissed this at first).also had a leak on rear shock, under three years old and 17,000 miles. All done under warranty.

681 - 700 of 717 Posts