VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm pretty new here but I've done my introduction on the new members thread and given a bit of an overview on my project there. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1493569

Overall I'm happy with my purchase but the long term plans are pretty ambitious and unconventional. I do like unique and clever solutions even if the time/ money part of the equation doesn't always compute. This is a project not an investment after all.

So this is where I'm starting. Meet 'Doogal', he is a 2007 T5 shuttle (2.5 lwb auto) and will become a day van/ camper for travelling whilst carrying two motorbikes. That might sons like a tall order but I'm confident we can do it and make it work.

Styling will be clean bright and low and eventually the pertain will be replaced with electric motion.... but all that is a long way off.

·
Total Van Newbie
199 Posts
Wow certainly sounds like you've got your work cut out, but why not indeed, fair play!

Interested to see how doable EV conversions will be moving forwards, as IC engines get taxed more and banished from town centres. Can't imagine it's all that cheap just yet though.

Written off EV Mitsubishi SUV thing maybe....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't expect the ev conversion to be cheap at all. I've estimated £20k for that portion alone but if technology improves and as more evs get scrapped the parts will become more readily available.

The mitsi PHEV actually has a tiny battery compared to full BEVs but the way forward is actually building a custom battery pack and then supplementing that with components.

I've worked out (with fuel tank, spare wheel, exhaust and other gubbins removed) I could fit 120kWh battery underslung between the axles. Motors, invertor and controller can easily fit between the wheels giving me 4 wheel drive.

Then with the EV drivetrain installed the I.C.E. engine will go leaving a huge space for other things... portable generator for longer trips perhaps?

Of course solar ous part of the plan too... this obviously a lot more complex than a short entry on a forum can summarise but you hopefully get the gist ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So first update since having a good poke around Doogal.

Starting off tinkering with nothing too critical I've discovered the side windows leak and caused the roller blinds built into the doors had rusted and stained the material. Took those apart, dried and re-stained the mesh. Will be keeping the blinds up for now until I can find the water leak.

Next to sort was the disappearing coolant.

After reading many posts on the subject I have replaced the water pump, flushed and replaced the coolant with 50/50 g12, plus an oil and filter change. Fuel and air filters also changed.

Draining the sump revealed about 1.5 litres of coolant in the oil (a little mayo in the cap but not on the dipstick). Hopefully it hasn't blown any other seals but I plan to get it compression tested to make sure the head isn't blown too.

Next on the list will be the exhaust. Turbo gasket first and then manifold if the turbo gasket isn't compromised.

Aside from the disappearing coolant and fumes in the cabin the t5 should be spot on mechanically. Just the rust spots and a few little dings to pull out.

Really looking forward to lowering him and fitting the wheels and running boards.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay maybe a bit less than 1.5 litres... this is a5 litre container and the bottom half is coolant...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay maybe a bit less than 1.5 litres... this is a5 litre container and the bottom half is coolant...

Test drive reveals the coolant isn't disappearing and no oil leaks. Well see how it goes over the coming months.

·
Total Van Newbie
199 Posts
Fingers crossed what you've done has solved it then! Good way of seeing how much had made it in there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bit by bit I'm getting there. So far the coolant leak is gone, I'll be doing another oil change to make sure, as the level isn't rising I can warrant leaving it a little while.

Currently working on replacing the turbo gaskets and once done that 'should solve all oil leaks externally'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So current challenge is the turbo and manifold gasket (fumes in cabin) chestnut.

Currently one 10mm spline nut away from removing the whole lot. Then I can replace all the gaskets (turbo to head, exhaust, turbo to egr, egr cooler and finally turbo to dpf clamp).

I want to replace all the exhaust manifold studs as two sheared off, as I've not managed to get to the point of extracting a complete one yet, does anyone know what lengths they are?

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turbo is off! That final spline bolt is a rift Bayard to get to, turns out whoever tried before me started stripping the head, so a bit of electrical tape on my triple square bit and it came out.

My predictions came true too, the turbo gasket was gunned up and clearly the source of a leak, egr to manifold gaskets weren't too bad tbh but might as well replace them anyway.

Manifold gasket was also sooted up on cylinder one.

Managed to extract three complete studs, two had already sheared and came out with zero effort two sheared by my own heavy hands and three left to do tomorrow. Soaked them in gt85 and gave them some taps to hopefully assist.

Fingers crossed I don't wheat the final three as I want to replace all the nuts and bolts I've removed with fresh ones.

Then the dreaded extraction of the sheared bolts begins. I've some easy out bits and a multitude of star bits I can hammer into them but I shall persevere!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So all studs are out now, turbo cleaned up last night to rediscover two of those bolts sheared on me... that plus excessive end float means I'm looking out for a new turbo.... might as well upgrade to the GTB1752 turbo from the bpc engine as it'll fit and all components will be less stressed if I decide to remap him in the near future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Four sheared studs in the head.

With a right angled screwdriver adapter and 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.2, 3.5 and 4mm drill bits I put a hole about 5mm deep into the remaining stud. I then hammered a t25 torx bit into it and it fitted very snug.

Thankfully the heat and rotational forces must have helped during drilling as once I got a ratchet on the torx bit they came out a breeze. Is say three of them done in about 45 minutes!

I'd been dreading this part for weeks knowing it was coming.

Confidence at as all time high I went to blast number for out of the block and the heard me, for hours later and its still laughing at me.

Oh well, time to rest the old back and try again tmw... If it doesn't rain too much.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Good start on your van, intresting to see how it progresses! Our van has exhaust fumes in the cab which is worrying me about the manifold removal!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was worth it, managed to extract all but one stud. For that one I tapped the hole enough to get a bolt in.

After finding one of the few machine shops that would skim my manifold I fitted everything back together, replaced remanufactured turbo, gaskets, replaced the coolant again and he starts every time.

Only issue is the slow response, and after some hard acceleration the glowplug light starts flashing. I get several fault codes (P0299, P0473, P0104, P2033 and P242d) mostly related to the exhaust system.

Initially I figured this was because the turbo is groom the bpc engine and needed remapping.

But a mechanic mate looked over my work and discovered a vacuum pipe that got disconnected but was kinda out of sight under the scuttle panel. Reconnected and he flies now!

Remap eventually but for now I'm a happy chappy.

Next on the list is a wheel and brake upgrade....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We found a vacuum house had popped off. Not one I removed when replacing the turbo so I didn't spot it right away. Error codes cleared and all good!

I haven't done much since late last summer, replaced the egr cooler and plan to do the rear engine mount and the dpf to turbo gasket (neglected to get a replacement on the previous job) so hopefully that'll sort the rough stunning issues I have at the moment.

Hoping to god it's not the injectors!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts