VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some guidance please...

I've removed my door cards to do some works -

I've got an electric window kit, some lights and fit some speakers.

The main problem I have is to trim the door panel itself, I read some where or spoke to some one about using a soldering iron to split the door panel into 3 sections, top, pockets and main panel.

I bit the bullet and used a soldering iron to split one of the panels:eek:, I recon it will be near impossible to put back together the same way and was thinking of gluing or some other way?

Can anyone enlighten me as to best way forward, which may include buying a new door card!!

Any pictures / advise would be welcome.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
hI fella I used a chisel to remove the plastic welds and then rejoin them with a soldering iron. T:

Maybe try some good plastic glue to get yours back together?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why do you need to do this? For ease of access I thought u could just remove and replace no worries?

I'm after some guidance please...

I've removed my door cards to do some works -

I've got an electric window kit, some lights and fit some speakers.

The main problem I have is to trim the door panel itself, I read some where or spoke to some one about using a soldering iron to split the door panel into 3 sections, top, pockets and main panel.

I bit the bullet and used a soldering iron to split one of the panels:eek:, I recon it will be near impossible to put back together the same way and was thinking of gluing or some other way?

Can anyone enlighten me as to best way forward, which may include buying a new door card!!

Any pictures / advise would be welcome.

Many thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, the idea I got was to break the panel down to trim and then put back together.

This I thought the best way to go about trimming.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the idea I got was to break the panel down to trim and then put back together.

This I thought the best way to go about trimming.
Correct , that will be the best way to trim your door cards !...........unless you get some one else to do it of course ? I:

Good luck T:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats how i went about it too, the only thing i would add is to try to leave as much of the plastic on the piece protruding through the holes as possible intact. Its easy to chisel or melt these protrusions off but if you are tidy and trim only the minimum away you can reuse the same pieces and the same method when refitting them.

I used vinyl on the large bottom section and with this thickness added in between this section the door pocket piece you will need as much length as you can find on these plastic protrusions. It is possible with patience and well placed clamps. Mine went back 100% using no glue.

If i can dig out a few pictures i'll stick them up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These are the only pictures i can find, sorry none of the fixings.

I got a pair of door cards from the breakers, so i could take my time and still use the van as normal.

Was happy with the result.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you pop into your friendly local body shop they should have a plastic weld kit for repairing bumpers and all sorts of plastic stuff.

I'm sure for the price of a couple of pints they will re-fix your door cards for you after you have trimmed them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the replies and advise, dokerty your doors look fantastic, thanks very much for the pictures.A:A:A:A:A:

I hope to get some time to make a start on the one I've split into 3 parts, the idea being if that works out OK, I'll do the other.T:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used a good contact adhesive evo time bond i think it was called, door card need to be spotless and sanded to key. little heat the made vinyl more flexible to stretch into recesses and inside the handle. lots of patience required but it worked out well enough i think considering i never did anything like it before.

I picked up the door cards from breakers and kept the originals so i wasn't worried if i failed miserably. my only concern is would it last in hotter weather, glue had a fair enough rand temp wise so i hope for the best.

Sprayed the lower park of dash black to match and wrapped sections to match the other sections of the door cards. I used 2011 passat seats and interior so was matching that. worked well i think must post some pics.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a good contact adhesive evo time bond i think it was called, door card need to be spotless and sanded to key. little heat the made vinyl more flexible to stretch into recesses and inside the handle. lots of patience required but it worked out well enough i think considering i never did anything like it before.

I picked up the door cards from breakers and kept the originals so i wasn't worried if i failed miserably. my only concern is would it last in hotter weather, glue had a fair enough rand temp wise so i hope for the best.

Sprayed the lower park of dash black to match and wrapped sections to match the other sections of the door cards. I used 2011 passat seats and interior so was matching that. worked well i think must post some pics.
Great job, I'm in the same boat, every job I do is a first, learning all the time.T:T:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah thats the way. remember asking the exact same question on here. used a satin black. same as I used to paint bottom plastics of the dash. all goes alright. must stick up pictures of that finished.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts