VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My passenger door lock is having a fit, and keeps on locking itself and all the other locks. I can see elsewhere on the forum that this is likely to be one of 2 things; wiring fault in the door or fault in the lock - that little spring thingy.

When I pull the knob up on the passenger door it only travels a short way then the lock kicks in. I can't turn the key in the lock either. i disconnected the fuse for the locks, but still can't pull up the knob or get the key to turn.

My real problem is that I can't actually get the door open to see what is causing this, so I can't remove the door card to inspect, so I'm hoping that someone out there has a cunning trick to get the door open. Anyone been through this?

It's a '98 2.5tdi caravelle. I don't have a key fob, just the key

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
today the bus refused to lock the doors, so I took my chance and got the door card off. The horizontal bar that goes from the interior latch to the lock was working, but not the doorknob that locks the door. Just to be really helpful, it then went and locked the doors on me once more when I had to close the door to let a double pram get by. Out with the fuse this time, should have done that first. I couldn't get anything out, so on the assumption that something was sticking/caught, I sprayed the moving parts in copious amounts of lube, and felt a bit of movement develop, I also could slightly turn the key in the lock. I kept on lubing and moving and after 10mins everything freed up. Key works in the door, door locks from the inside, all as it should be. Funny old beast, just wanted a bit of TLC I guess.

Seems that 19years of muck got in the way, bear this in mind and give your locks and central locking bits a clean, preferably before the door locks itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts