VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my little project to customise my interior.

Panel of - Passenger side.

Pockets off panel.

Pockets from panel.

Arm rest and handle wraped.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try now - (pics rubbish need a better phone) - was in profile setting !

·
Registered
621 Posts
Were the panels plastic welded together or just clipped? Is that Red and black carbon wrap you've used?

Looking good so farT:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were the panels plastic welded together or just clipped? Is that Red and black carbon wrap you've used?

Looking good so farT:
Panels to pockets are - well sort of welded - Here goes.
A tab pokes through a hole, it is then squashed down with heat, (looks as though a size of about the end of a throw away lighter)
and sort off welded over and stamped. But not welded ! The protuding tab is squashed with heat, some of them are melted with the pocket, but the majority are not. I used a wood chisle to remove the melted bit.
If you have actual seen them you will understand what I am waffeling on about. Intention will be to glue back together as to
much has been removed to squash back down.

Yes - Black 3D carbon and normal Red carbon. But not happy, does appear not to be very durable.

GeorgieT4 - Yes pictures are absolute rubbish, batteries on charge for camera................................still waiting.................
will replace when charged. Not for you lot (not been rude) but I would like to keep a reference for my self.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Panels to pockets are - well sort of welded - Here goes.
A tab pokes through a hole, it is then squashed down with heat, (looks as though a size of about the end of a throw away lighter)
and sort off welded over and stamped. But not welded ! The protuding tab is squashed with heat, some of them are melted with the pocket, but the majority are not. I used a wood chisle to remove the melted bit.
If you have actual seen them you will understand what I am waffeling on about. Intention will be to glue back together as to
much has been removed to squash back down.

Yes - Black 3D carbon and normal Red carbon. But not happy, does appear not to be very durable.

GeorgieT4 - Yes pictures are absolute rubbish, batteries on charge for camera................................still waiting.................
will replace when charged. Not for you lot (not been rude) but I would like to keep a reference for my self.
Which arn't you happy with? I know what you mean with the melted tabs-I changed a standard door card for the VXR one for my brother which had the same system. I managed to leave enough to of the tab to be able to melt them back together after.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vinyl wrap, all it is "sticky back plastic"
The 3D does look better than the standard, but not happy with either, was thinking about laquering them, to give a more durable surface.
Will try that with some car laquer and see what happens.

But at the end of the day it is "sticky back plastic" and plastic scratches and will push or gather on a handle, won't it ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right not Happy with Vinyl and it's lack of durability.
So to that end tried something :(
Four pieces of 2" square stuck onto a peice of facia board I had laying around, then covered with a generous coat
of Fiber glass resin. Here below you can see the results - it don't work.
Well it does because the objective of the idea was to give a hard and more durable finish, which it does but also
destroys the appearence.

Oh well ! back to the drawing board.

Maybe Resin coating on the door panel tops ? :confused::confused::confused::eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red Carbon Vinyl on a Coke bottle, (well it was to hand)
Sprayed with Laquer.

·
Registered
308 Posts
it sounds like a bit of a ball ache to be honest, but the pics do look alot better than standard gre interior... im sure you can get a clear wrap.. maybe wrap over the carbon wrap?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts