VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right well I'm after some help as i've tried always everything i can think of to solve the problem so open to any ideas..
first up problem is the mid range speakers (i'n the front doors) felt the need to both stop working at the same time from what i can tell, although the tweeters are still working. i had replaced the door speakers for a set of FLi 2ways about 6months ago and left orginal tweeter in.(running off head unit to start with)
to help the kit in the van as it stands are: Sony Xav-63 double din head unit, 6x9 in rear, Fli 2ways in doors, 2x 2ch amps, (one was running sub)
now i've tried resetting headunit and different setting, checked wiring, removed door speaker and plunged into rear to check still working, tired different head unit, even rewired front speakers to now run off the amp and still no difference!
only think left is that i've wired the amp'd fronts to original loom behind the dash so whatever problem is there must be between there and the doors, but i can't think what else could be wrong that would knock by sides out together.
any help or other ideas to try would be grateful (or if I'm over looking something simple that would also be good lol)
Many Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
right well I'm after some help as i've tried always everything i can think of to solve the problem so open to any ideas..
first up problem is the mid range speakers (i'n the front doors) felt the need to both stop working at the same time from what i can tell, although the tweeters are still working. i had replaced the door speakers for a set of FLi 2ways about 6months ago and left orginal tweeter in.(running off head unit to start with)
to help the kit in the van as it stands are: Sony Xav-63 double din head unit, 6x9 in rear, Fli 2ways in doors, 2x 2ch amps, (one was running sub)
now i've tried resetting headunit and different setting, checked wiring, removed door speaker and plunged into rear to check still working, tired different head unit, even rewired front speakers to now run off the amp and still no difference!
only think left is that i've wired the amp'd fronts to original loom behind the dash so whatever problem is there must be between there and the doors, but i can't think what else could be wrong that would knock by sides out together.
any help or other ideas to try would be grateful (or if I'm over looking something simple that would also be good lol)
Many Thanks.

We see a lot of speaker terminals and even the cable itself corroded so badly, though it looks ok that it stops working. You may also thought they stopped working at the same time, but again we get loads of T5s in where customer hadn't notice one of their speakers has stopped working,
The doors let a lot of water down behind the speaker.

Cut the cable back and take a look

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many Thanks.
Just had the same problem all of a sudden both door speakers stopped. I feel this is something to do the VAG .com lite I had plugged in. I am getting output from the stereo and according to the wiring diagram there is an Audio amplifier module on some models. I tried to see this with the scan tool and did not find it.

I feel the connection is no a direct link to the speakers from the stereo output. There is a k can bus that could be on the aftermarket stereo that may have reacted with the VAG tool. I can hear the tweeters on the dash ok.

Been working on the central locking and sorted this out you need the correct drivers door mechanism. I thought I had left a plug out for the speakers.
What I will test is continuity to door speakers and unravel what has been put to the radio .I feel I have blown part of the on board van amplifier. Or the speakers .
Its not my van and is new to the owner. I will check for the obvious fist. Then perhaps just over lay a new speaker feed to the doors. Not sure yet.
any small battery can test he speaker when you put power to the terminals. 9v battery s a bit strong but you will see the cone move forwards or backwards dependent on polarity.
In the old days door wires broke. Copper and wire when flexed will break over the years on the door hinge area. Modern cares have a little less stress but could also brake at these points.

Test the speakers from the speaker them selves just in case there is an amp in line.
Or use and ohm meter should be about 4 ohms for speakers.
Be aware there is a can bus to the radio connector. I did not check the after market wiring and had the anti theft front of the radio. In hindsight should have unplugged it.

The van I am working on is 2004 . I expect this may have Can Bus K wire to the radio as will later vans and some also have factory audio amplifiers from the diagrams I have seen..

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts