VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys can you get brackets for the double cab seat back to lean a little more back, not the folding ones.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Was looking for the same thing. Just 2/3 brackets that would tilt the upright of the bench seat backwards a little to make it more comfortable.

I have put some washers under the front mountings of mine and made sure the nut is still on in safety
Ie.. threads showing
Done the trick and the mrs is happy
Mines on a swivel and it still works fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have put some washers under the front mountings of mine and made sure the nut is still on in safety
Ie.. threads showing
Done the trick and the mrs is happy
Mines on a swivel and it still works fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Under the base I take it? Thing is I’m on a swivel base so that doesn’t work

·
Registered
324 Posts
out door technical hinge will do for £190...

Or you can use washers .. mine were free cus I had some....
it doesnt alter the backrest angle but tips the seat up at the front and the back backwards...
the seat is held in with double ended bolts into the floor.. i puit some under the seat bolts which screw into the van floor and then some on top of that where the seat attachs..
if you pm your mobile number ill text you some pics of how far the seats tipped back...

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
out door technical hinge will do for £190...

Or you can use washers .. mine were free cus I had some....
it doesnt alter the backrest angle but tips the seat up at the front and the back backwards...
the seat is held in with double ended bolts into the floor.. i puit some under the seat bolts which screw into the van floor and then some on top of that where the seat attachs..
if you pm your mobile number ill text you some pics of how far the seats tipped back...
Cheers, as part of the swivel base kit you get extra washers enabling you to do that, however it is the back rest I am wanting to anjust the angle of

·
Registered
559 Posts
There is also a cheaper hinge on ebay, currently about £105 i think. Both this and the outdoor technical version are crash tested and give you another ten degrees of back rest tilt. It really does make a difference to comfort.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's the DIY version (just started).
So far:
-how to remove the backrest of a folding bench double-seater
-how and what to cut to allow it to tilt back a bit more

I promised somewhere here that I will post the progress, but can't find that in my messges.

So here it goes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Second part.
For the cuts I used a Dremel 3000 tool with EZ lock disk (38mm for metal) and an angle grinder that saved a lot of time when cutting the flexible part.
For sanding I used the small cutting disk for dremel (for the inside rim) and a circular stone for the surfaces (took a lot of patience).
Final layer (not shown) - a quick coat of black spraypaint.

Good luck with the cuts, everyone!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Update: the second hole (the one I cut) doesn't hold the backrest from moving to the front.
It still moves to the front when pushed, and snaps in the first (factory) latch. Which holds it both ways. Doesn't bother me at all - still reclines, but I thought some of you may want to know this beforehand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vankraft ~ Crash tested, works faultlesly and folded all the way forward is perfect for climbing into the pop-top. Sometimes there’s no cheap solution.. 👍🏻

·
Registered
48 Posts
Vankraft ~ Crash tested, works faultlesly and folded all the way forward is perfect for climbing into the pop-top. Sometimes there’s no cheap solution.. 👍🏻
given the effort I put into it, I wouldn't pay more than 40Euros for a new bracket - for the extra degrees.
Mine was already folding forward

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update: the second hole (the one I cut) doesn't hold the backrest from moving to the front.
It still moves to the front when pushed..
Hats off for trying to engineer a solution to more recline, something VW could’ve done from the beginning. That is why Vankraft is such a good ‘hassle-free’ buy because it WORKS, doesn’t move i.e. is crash tested and SAFE. So, again, sometimes there is no cheap solution.. 👍🏻
Pays your money, takes your choice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts