VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Apparently there is a steel bar running across the dash, which has the single din slot in it.
There is no double din replacement.
I think somebody on here has re-worked the slot to accept the double din, but I think it is a lot of work.
So I think, in a word, no.
Sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
I have been searching for just such a thing, I have a neat unit from fleabay which is double din, reason not many people do this is it looks a pig of a job with a steelwork to remove, I spoke with steve earlier who tells me this bar is structual to the dash, so it's not just a cut out job.

As and when we do this, lots of pics then ok ...

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
i got a mittenkonsole?

it's more stealthy.
you get 2 trays the console. one will fill the hole the old radio left behind.
it also gives you somewhere to stash the freeview box etc.
although these console were only meant for lhd so the heater pipe (air) needs messing with.

my DVD keeps breaking tho. the internal amp went so it went back to hong kong..........via london.
now the dvd's won't play?
£100 off ebay tho..........should have saved up for a nice kenwood one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks like i will stick with another single din head unit with the flip out like ive already , i just asked the question as i was curious so thanks for the pointer about the structural bar behind the dash .

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've just installed my Kenwood 5220bt into my 1998 T4, i decided to loose two out of the three top heaters as a compromise to have an inbuilt sat nav, ipod, bluetooth and DVD player which displays on a screen at the back. costs about 1k to get all that functionality into a single din unit!

I'll try and post some pics to show you...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There was a guy who had one fitted in his at the VW Fest in Leeds. Looked the dogs, got the number off him of the guy who fitted it for him, I'll dig it out tomorro for ya if you want it.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
..... i decided to loose two out of the three top heaters as a compromise ......QUOTE]

No way ... now why didn't I think of that LOL:

Oh well, if there is an easy way and a hard way - I usually end up take the hard route ...

OK, so if this doesn't put anyone off I don’t know what will.

So - here we go then, stripped the dash and obviously confronted with a huge structural beam which it right in the way ...

I decided to cut the beam here - because of limited room and not wanting to make too much mess, I hack sawed through this - a very slow process :eek:

When removing all the wires there are two earthing points on the rear of the beam - in the pic below you can see these points in the round mirror

You can not get to it from behind the dash by the way

Once the beam was cut, to release it from the passenger floor well there is a bolt and a Nut, as there is a section seam welded, it all has to come out in one.

The next step I don’t have pics for, but I have fabricated a U shaped channel to replace what I have cut out, this will be bolted back into the remaining channel that is still in situ behind the dash - this will also form the base for the Radio to sit on with a small amount of shimming.

.... So there we have it, I just plugged it in to see how it works (and to boost my enthusiasm for hacking my dash)

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Oh yes and Steve - I would have to think twice before recommending this unit, having done all this work preparing the dash, have to say I am a little disappointed with the features on the unit. The old saying you only get what you pay for is so very true.

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
LOL:if i remember you had already set your mind on doing the jobLOL:

and i did offer to come down and offer a helping hand I:

well done jimbo you can go to the top of the class but dont take your books you aint staying Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Steve

Sorry for the confusion buddy, there is no way in the world I could have waited till tomorrow to do it ... the voices in my head beckoning me to get cutting.

Bit of a dodgy moment when I couldn't work out why the blinking lump of steel section wouldn't come out - when I finally got it to budge, it was the Passenger Air Bag :eek:

and I hadn't disconnected the battery either :eek::eek::eek:

Bit of a moment LOL:

So now its disconnected, I have an air bag fault :confused: I think I read somewhere else, you either have to have both or none - or is there a little gizmo (technical term there) I could plug in to trick it into thinking its still there ???

Spent a lot of time tidying up wires and finishing it off - the overall result is T:
Jim

p.s. I will post lots more pics later, I went with a U shaped bit of channel to fill the gap, rather than a Box

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
what ? you took out the air bag completely I:eek:r just disconnected it and now replaced it

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Until I get the bracket finished and braced its out - the air bag unit bolts to the cross section, so I need to be pretty sure its as strong as before as I would n't want it breaking and the force fo the air bag going back into the glove box.

This is the extent of the section removed, will post up the brace hopefully tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You can buy special resistors to put in place of your airbag - dunno where to get em tho.

Ill have a look - I could do with one too.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Steve
Yes please, if you could put on in the post most apreciated - its going to be a while before its all back and finished, the unit has soooooooooooo many wires its in and out like a .... fiddles elbow (thats the cleanest saying I could think of) LOL:
It has been a bit of a mere to do, but the results are really starting to look good.

Will post some more pics soon ok

Jim

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
LOL: You guys don't miss a thing do you - Nice one.

Hang on a mo .... My Birthday is 1:11 Good job it wasn't 10 days later eh

and I suppose Mr Geko's pic here has nothing to do with my Birthday date and year 1/11/66 (Yes I am old Rasp: )

Anyway, back to the topic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts