VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. so looking at ferry prices and Campervan prices are pretty much half the price of a standard Van.

Whats the deal with putting it on as a campervan. It looks like a campervan inside?

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Ok. so looking at ferry prices and Campervan prices are pretty much half the price of a standard Van.

Whats the deal with putting it on as a campervan. It looks like a campervan inside?
I'd guess that it's down to size (isn't it always?!...I:) Campervans are usually sub 5 or 6m (can't remember the cut-off), whereas a 'standard van' I guess could be anything up to a a Merc Sprinter which is longer and higher, so takes up the space two cars/ campers could, hence twice the price...?

Gotta be worth a call to the ferry line to clear up what they define as a 'campervan' (and I'm sure iit'll be sub-5m) and what they define as a 'standard van'. I don't think the number of windows will have anything to do with it T:

Alex

·
Registered
72 Posts
hello mate, just booked mine through aa , night crossing, 3 adults and 2 kids,£124 return, didnt think that was 2 bad in last week of august

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you get a quote for both camper van and van they ask the length of the vehicle. and as ive got a LWB its +5m
and would most camper vans not be longer than a t4. so surely it shouldnt be sub 5m

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Dover to France I always use Norfolkline.

They just specify "passenger vehicle under 2.4m high" or "passenger vehicle over 2.4m high"

night crossings in August would be £44.60 return.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Booked mine with Sea France (£52 return). As someone already suggested probably worth a quick call to the ferry operator and see what they say. Some operators will check to ensure that it is a proper camper (windows, bed, cooker etc).

The only people who wnated to look in my van were customs, the booking clerk at the ferry wasn't bothered.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I reckon its more to do with whether the crossing is trade/commercial or pleasure. Like a lot of things when you mention that its corperate the price goes up, I guess because they can? If you're travelling for business, you are going because you need to, If for pleasure its because you want to!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm going over next week. mate who's booking it asked the same thing 2is your van a camper". i said yes...well, its got a bed..certainly doesn't look like an old builders van or something, plus it's 300mm shorter than the last car i took on a ferry!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dover to France I always use Norfolkline.

They just specify "passenger vehicle under 2.4m high" or "passenger vehicle over 2.4m high"

night crossings in August would be £44.60 return.

That's exactly what we just did (Dunkerque not Calais) but a bargain! My van is white with wheels and lowered - no windows or anything - the guy at check in asked what was in the back, and he just tagged a note onto his computer to say we were autohrised as a camper. (the tow bar did scrape aw we went up onto the top ramp - but that's pretty common!!)

:)

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's exactly what we just did (Dunkerque not Calais) but a bargain! My van is white with wheels and lowered - no windows or anything - the guy at check in asked what was in the back, and he just tagged a note onto his computer to say we were autohrised as a camper. (the tow bar did scrape aw we went up onto the top ramp - but that's pretty common!!)

:)
Don't ask Norfolk line for a quote on the Edinburgh - Zeebrugge route, for a car they quoted me £990 daren't think what they'd have said for the T4! :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have just done the dover crossing and most of the ferry companies state must have side windows to be able to go on as a car or camper, otherwise its a commercial vehicle, the only company that did not seem to penalise the panal van was LD Lines dover to boulogne, £85 return van and driver. Brand new ferry wave piercing catamaran, 1 hour crossing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live near Calais but work in the UK so am over there every other week with my T4 which goes on as a car (MPV) with Seafrance, or 'high car' when booking with P&O. My reasoning is that my Velle is a passenger carrying vehicle and physically no bigger than a Range Rover so why should I pay more than one of those?

For daytrips or one night away working I use Eurotunnel, as it saves time and their short stay fares are pretty reasonable. They used to have a 'high car' classification but that disappeared and now I go through as a camping car (motorhome), which still works out cheaper than a van. When a mate visited us with his ex-AA van a couple of weeks ago we booked him on as a camping car too, even though he's not got a bed inside - had no problems. I'm heading over again at the start of September, will book by phone this time and enquire whether it can pass as a car?

~ Craig

·
Registered
184 Posts
Going over this Wednesday early morning apx 2-3 am . Do I need to book??
Thanks in advance Belly

PS Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Going over this Wednesday early morning apx 2-3 am . Do I need to book??
Thanks in advance Belly

PS Sorry to hijack the thread.
Yes, you'll need to book, otherwise you'll pay the top rate if you just turn up at the port... probably twice or three times as expensive!

~ Craig

1 - 17 of 17 Posts