VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how the flipin eck do you get the down pipe clips back on im 15st and been swinging off em

:*:*:*

is there a special tool to stretch them back on?

ian

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
hi mate

i used the exhaust U clamp method & i think i over stretched them as its squeaking now but Ive bought one of the proper tools & from the looks of it it will only open them so far eg: not over stretching the spring U clips,,Ive not used the new tool yet but it looks a good bit of kit T:

·
Registered
458 Posts
I usewd the exhaust clamp method .......... but placed a ratched ring spanner on the inside as it is easier to find the nut while its on because its realy hard to see and touch ...... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i stretched it in the vice with a screw driver and wedged an m8 bolt in it in the end bit fiddly but managed ok tho

cheers for the advice

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its a 2 man job. Get the clamp on the floor a screwdriver in each hole and lever apart. Then place a suitable length of bar inbetween, its a bit trial and error to get the bar lenght right. Then very carefully put in place and knock the bar out. These springs are very powerfull treat them like a loaded gun. This method worked for me. Much easier than dealing with rusty seized up and rounded off turbo and exhaust nuts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I feel like a hero, got them on with no tools!:DRasp: Took the turbo elbow off first and made it so much easier than faffing with an engine in the way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just Set these on a 2.4 d

Proper tool (sealey on ebay for around£15), Tool does not get in the way, needs to be put through
the holes from the back!

2 man job, 1 to hold exhaust to manifold and run bar thru clips (from below)when releasing tension, (from above)

got both on in 20 mins!

Well pleased, wasn't looking forward to this job..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ah, thank goodness for this place - a few swear words came out today as we tried to fit the exhaust clips, good old trip to this place, and hey presto done in 20 mins, thanks very much!

(We also used the exhaust clamp way) couldn't wait for a tool to arrive and didn't want to spend another £15 when the bits that came with the exhaust worked (now where is the tight ass smilie)

Another mucking fuddle this place has got us out of - thanks very much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts