VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's a stock 2.5 TDI DOKA apart from the roo bar, a King Spring lift (fitted back in 2003), some Seikel knock off rear diff spacers, Koni's all around, VW's secret cruise control and an Italian air horn. Oh and the locally made tray which also has a rear ladder bar and a canvas canopy

Just sailed past the 100,000 mile AND the nine year mark. No real dramas in that time except for a dead ignition switch before Xmas, replaced air con compressor and a long time dead heater tap dash control....although it is pretty fair to say I've had a bit of grief with servicing issues over time since the average VW dealer is typically expensive and/or hopeless, local parts supply is iffy and very expensive and most other mechanics just go 'too hard'...not too many VW guys outside the cities either....and I'm nearly five hours from one of them.

It's Xmas present this year was some new tyres GT Radial Maxway's in 205/70R15C including the spare which was still the OE 195/70R15 Kleber that came with the thing when I got it new in January 2002 (it's a July 2001 build).

So far we've done two laps of Oz in it and it spent the first half of its life in far north west NSW rarely seeing a sealed road....fairly tough enough little toy. And way too expensive to replace.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
You should have lent your van to ponting and co, and they could have parked it in front of the stumps, might have pulled off a draw then mate.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lift amounted to roughly 40mm at the time. Probably settled a bit since then. However, the new tyres gave it another 10mm so maybe it is back?
The bar on the front is actually a tad lighter than the original polystyrene lump that VW made!! Unfortunately, they are no longer available.

As for the cricket....it's been quite fun watching the hand wringing of the local aficionados. Even funnier is the local TV broadcasters behaviour once they realised that no-one was watching after day two of most games - apparently they lost heaps of advertising $. Personally, with respect to the results, I couldn't give a rats.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Lift amounted to roughly 40mm at the time. Probably settled a bit since then. However, the new tyres gave it another 10mm so maybe it is back?
The bar on the front is actually a tad lighter than the original polystyrene lump that VW made!! Unfortunately, they are no longer available.

As for the cricket....it's been quite fun watching the hand wringing of the local aficionados. Even funnier is the local TV broadcasters behaviour once they realised that no-one was watching after day two of most games - apparently they lost heaps of advertising $. Personally, with respect to the results, I couldn't give a rats.
yeh ! Bet you couldn't............

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Following on from some queries in RJM38's thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94124

The bullbar is from a company called Bocar. It's not custom as many were made for fitment to T4 Ambulances in Australia. They are a three piece bolt together job made from aluminium. Mine has been customised by getting a Dulux Charcoal powdercoat, the installation of aluminium security mesh in the middle loop (as I thought the opening was too big - easily swallow a roo) and fitment of Lightforce 140 spotlights (Oz's best spotties!)

The tray is a ripper. Light, strong and nicely featured. But expensive - about $5,500 back in 2002. It's made by www.tiptopequipment.com.au and they still make stuff for the T5. Here's what I'd like next time....

As for the frame that supports the canvas.....it is almost as easy to describe it. The rear ladder bar is a 75mm alloy tube just like that of the headboard. The roof frame is a rectangle of 15mm alu tube that sits on top of the ladder bars with four pins that locate the rectangle into holes in the bars normally used for ladder pins. On the long edge of both sides of the rectangle I have had a light alloy plate bent to follow the curve of the ladder bar and finished with another bar. You can just see this bar beneath the rolled up canvas. Another length of 50mm wide alu plate is tigged to the back of the rear ladder bar to support the canvas until it can fall straight to the rear tailgate rather than go down at an angle (which would have meant fiddly stitching) - you can see this plate on the rear bar at the far side of the tray. Honestly there's some great photos to go to school on here http://www.gktrim.com.au/photo_gallery.asp?id=10

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just a few images of my locally assembled lift kit - stock Koni shocks, King Springs [Cat No.KVRR-15] and three little diff spacers based on the dimensions of the Seikel units. Front torsion bars are wound up to suit. The tyres are GT Radial Maxway in 205/70R15 which is the largest tyre I can legally fit for registration in Australia (local rules limit you to no more than 15mm difference in diameter from stock tyres)

This is about as high as you can go through suspension mods without stuffing the capacity for proper front wheel alignment and the vehicle braking balance - the brake force distribution valve requires the DOKA to sit with a 1 degree down angle to the front. Only way to go from here is bigger tyres and altered gearing....and an engineering certificate.

This setup has been in place since 2003 and has functioned perfectly......actually the diff spacers have only been in place since 2007. But it is still all good.

It takes me places....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crazy rule about the tires, any real reason for it?
There's probably a real reason for it but the conspiracy theories from the automotive community are far more entertaining....

As for the pic......it's not a bad driveway, eh?

·
Registered
261 Posts
A wicked driveway!!!

I had a feeling it was something to do with protecting certain manufactures interests..... Defo Conspiracy

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice Doka. Look forward to seeing more.
Perhaps when I start re-doing the interior...I have a pair of KAB suspension seats for the front but they need to be rebuilt, the rear seat needs some new padding and re-sculpting one day and the door cards and pulls need either replacing or repair.

Outside first though...the windscreen surround needs a minor rust repair so I'll probably get a new windscreen and full frontal re-spray while I'm at it (the bonnet looks like it has been blasted with rat shot). Sadly, just this repair will likely cost more than the thing is actually worth these days...

·
Registered
80 Posts
It nearly always costs more than they are worth. I never really worry about the resale value I tend to just do what I do because that's what I enjoy. Looks like when you get something done with the van its a proper job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts