VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question please! On long motorway drives my DPF warning light comes on, generally about an hour into the journey. It doesn't flash, just steady on, and goes off if I restart the engine. I don't turn off the engine within an hour in case it is doing a regen but it will just stay on until I do restart. I do drive in town a lot, but it never comes on then. Doesn't affect the drive or power at all. I've never had it flashing as if it were doing a regen, but I would have thought if it was blocked it would stay on in town? I drove to Paris over the weekend, 80mph and revs over 2000 most of the way, and again, it just came on and stayed on even under those conditions. I've got a dsg, and tried dropping it down to 6th gear for 20 mins to keep the revs over 2500, but it still doesn't go off.
2010 2.0 bitdi. Thanks for any help :)

·
Special Rapporteur
9,775 Posts
According to the owner's manual this means that there is a fault in the system. The instructions are to "take it to a qualified workshop". If it is failing to regen (it certainly sounds that way) then the longer you leave it, the greater the likelihood that it will be damaged when they force a regen having fixed the fault - as the DPF can get too hot during a regen when the soot load exceeds normal levels.

Some faults (e.g. a faulty temp sensor) are fairly cheap to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see that you've got the same engine as me and having the same problems. Are you using much oil? Mines been using excessive oil for a while and the DPF light has been doing the same thing. Then finally the turbo failed the other day! It seems that the seals and bearings were damaged and the oil had been getting through into the exhaust, hence sooting up the DPF!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts