VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering whether I need to remap my late 2013 plate, 140PS, Highline, swb panel van; so that I can drive at higher revs to keep the DPF warning light at bay, but still return decent economy from town driving. Views welcome from my recent issues:

For the past three or four weeks I have been mainly driving around town/city no more than 3 miles per journey due to city projects. I try to drive economically where I can, following the gear change recommendation on the dash, no quick acceleration etc. Before past few weeks everything was fine and been in the 600 mile club/tank a few times from mainly dual carriageway/motorway driving, around South Wales, so plenty of hills thrown in also. However, with the town driving, twice the DPF warning light has come on, so I have driven to a dual carriageway, and driven at between 2200 & 2500 for 20 minutes, generally sat in 4th where I would normally be in 5th/6th. Fuel economy has gone, but DPF light went off.

So, when doing mainly town jobs of low mileage, should I once per week drive the 20 mins at 2200-2500rpm on motorway/dual carriageway; or remap to balance economy with harder regular driving : to keep the DPF clear. On current tank of fuel I am going to be lucky if I achieve 350 miles. Before this I was regularly achieving 575 miles per tank and a couple of times 605 & 610 miles/tank. I never exceed to speed limit and enjoy the driving experience on a motorway with cruise control on.

Thanks

JohnBoy

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Remapping alone wont make a big difference to DPF regeneration but you may find that people who remap then tend to drive using a bit more power so the DPF stays hotter and self regenerates. I presume you actually want to delete the DPF and then remap to disable the regen? That's a can of worms I'll leave to you.

I think your economy has gone out of the window 90% due to your new driving route and 10% due to the higher DPF blockage due to that driving style. You wont see 600miles per tank until you get back out on the open road and stop using the middle pedal!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DPFs need to get hot to burn off the particulates that they remove from the exhaust fumes.
Short journies don't do it for them.
Its a well known problem with all modern diesel engines. Blame the European union!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
My Old Seat Leon Fr 170 used to go into limp home so often I actually brought VCDS for that sole purpose to clear it.
Neighbours sued to wonder what was going on with the car revving away for minutes on end.
Just needed a good run up the motorway in a lower gear than normal to get the temps up and be above a certain rev range.
Might be wrong but sure the Leon was above 3krpm which in a diesel is pretty fast lol
Seat wanted 25quid every time the regen warning came on at least once a month.
Wifes car so I would only use it once in a blue moon.
Remap and a dpf is your best bet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm wondering if I should use sport mode on my DSG auto gearbox more to avoid this problem if I am doing short journeys.
I've been doing a lot of intermittent short journeys recently and now just done a 200 mile drive and it took a while for the power, economy and smoothness of the engine to come back.

Wonder if a remap raises exhaust gas temps a bit to help with this problem, from what I understand diesels are not as efficient as they could be due to nox emssion limits, these dont apply to remappers who can make the burn more efficient.

It kind of defeats the object of lowering emissions with a DPF if a light comes on and you have to drive somewhere you dont need to with the engine using more fuel than normal to raise EGT to eject all the particulates accumulated on your DPF???

If I ever have this problem the DPF would be removed, and the EGR valve and ECU mapped for definite. Its going to be difficult for it to be picked up on an MoT because the equipment to check DPF function is deemed too expensive to be forced on all MoT testers, worst case will be roadside testing and they will be few and far between.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I am wondering whether I need to remap my late 2013 plate, 140PS, Highline, swb panel van; so that I can drive at higher revs to keep the DPF warning light at bay, but still return decent economy from town driving. Views welcome from my recent issues:

For the past three or four weeks I have been mainly driving around town/city no more than 3 miles per journey due to city projects. I try to drive economically where I can, following the gear change recommendation on the dash, no quick acceleration etc. Before past few weeks everything was fine and been in the 600 mile club/tank a few times from mainly dual carriageway/motorway driving, around South Wales, so plenty of hills thrown in also. However, with the town driving, twice the DPF warning light has come on, so I have driven to a dual carriageway, and driven at between 2200 & 2500 for 20 minutes, generally sat in 4th where I would normally be in 5th/6th. Fuel economy has gone, but DPF light went off.

So, when doing mainly town jobs of low mileage, should I once per week drive the 20 mins at 2200-2500rpm on motorway/dual carriageway; or remap to balance economy with harder regular driving : to keep the DPF clear. On current tank of fuel I am going to be lucky if I achieve 350 miles. Before this I was regularly achieving 575 miles per tank and a couple of times 605 & 610 miles/tank. I never exceed to speed limit and enjoy the driving experience on a motorway with cruise control on.

Thanks

JohnBoy
Hi is his what i have to look forward to if and when I decide to purchase a new/newer transporter... its really discusting that you are forced to drive in a certain way and at certain times to satifsy some hairy asr#d waste of space in europe... just like the LEZ years ago every one told to buy diesel now your penilised, yet some countries pump out more into the environment in a day then we do all year... :(

Hi is this what to look forward

·
Registered
691 Posts
In 45000 miles DPF light never been on
Most just need good run to warm them well up
Miller oil do a add to fuel cleaner for dpf s that need a wee bit of help by letting them regerate at a lower temp
Worth a try
In such a young T5 you shouldn't have much bother ,
Saying that mate had a new vauxhall , he did short runs and drove very slow in 6th gear ,he always had trouble with light on

Ended up new dpf at 20000 miles totally blocked :eek:

Good run on a sunday morning needed T:
And i wouldn't do this longlife service thing ,

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
It kind of defeats the object of lowering emissions with a DPF if a light comes on and you have to drive somewhere you dont need to with the engine using more fuel than normal to raise EGT to eject all the particulates accumulated on your DPF???
It does indeed - but try telling that to the legislators in Euroland - they know nothing about engines, but listen to those in lab's that are all theory & know nothing about engines working in the real world.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
DPFs, EGR valves, swirl flaps, DMFs; all PITA diesel emissions reducing nonsense that strangles modern diesels.
Been there, all were troublesome. No more diesels for us.
Ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts