VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whilst taking off the rocker cover today, i dropped the rubber mount for the bolt down a hole at the front of the ehgine, does this hole go to the sump. will i get at it if i remove the sump, looking at the sump thers some tricky bolts to get at :bhd

if i left it there, would it do damage blocking oil holes etc, my van is off the rd for the winter so im doing all the jobs in the engine bay including having the fuel pump rebuilt:eek: does the hole at the bottom of the pic go to the sump. im guessing the 3 holes are returns back to the sump?

·
Previously; stevemadbiker
1,308 Posts
can you not get a long stiff bit of wire or the dip stick and push it down the hole to see if it hits the sump.
This is if you have already tried to hook the rubber out and had no joy, if the rubber has gone all the way to the sump it will not hurt to leave it.
The oil pick up in the sump has a wire gauze filter so the the rubber will not get sucked up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi, I dropped a torx bit down one of those holes whilst removing the head bolts. It was the far right hole at the front. It didn't make it as far as the sump. The hole mine fell down splits off in two directions and reckon it's lodged somewhere in the main block! Done 700 miles since and no problems...not even a rattle from the bit I dropped (approx. 13mm x 25mm). I tried one of those pick-up magnetic extension jobbies, but no joy. Even pocked it through the sump plug hole and took off the sensor on the bottom of the sump for better access. The sump internally isn't an open void (seems to have various sections built in). My sump doesn't leak, so I was apprehensive, or just dam right lazy about taking it off. Anyway, it seems to be fine. Hopefully yours has worked it's way to the sump. If it has, and it's rubber, I wouldn't worry. If it's stuck in an oil way, hopefully it hasn't totally blocked the passage. From my experience I reckon you'll be ok;)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It will take out the engine
sooner or later....
U should be considered fairly ***** to leave it in there
Then again, kowing this forum, I`ll take a beating fot this post... & I couldn`t care less

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is the main oil return to the sump , poor some oil down it if it drains away all wil be fine as it will be laid in the very bottom off the sump. The oil pick up pipe will not be able to suck it up as it is surrounded by baffle plates that stop the oil all going to one side etc when parked on slopes/hills,

·
Registered
292 Posts
The rubber has quite obviously dropped down one of the many oil return holes back to the sump. Since it's a rubber mount for one of the bolts it'll have a hole in it. Should it be wedged in the oil return hole, would it not still allow oil to flow past? Should the rubber eventually break up and fragment it's going to end up straight in the sump whatever happens. Further, should the fragments get sucked up through the fine gauze, then where will these fragments end up next?......................They will go directly, via the pipe, straight to the oil filter. Fragments all collected safely for the next oil change. Can't see these fragments being drawn back through the engine, or maybe I'm wrong to. As with my little accident dropping the torx bit down the oil way, I had to make an educated decision. If it's wedged in the oil way then probably reduced the oil flow back to the sump by a few per cent. It's not in the way of any moving parts and runs fine. Juddy came up with a nice simple test...pour some oil down the hole in question and see if it's blocked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try a red hot screw to pierce the rubber if you can puncture it and remove but as for the pick up pipe the nozzle is mounted at an optimum distance from the sump and because my job is testing PUPs I have trialed partialy blocked pipes with no adverse effects on performance but blocked holes can lead to excess pressure in the head (Dont thimk that will happen) but if it does it will be on cold starts as the oil is thicker. The holes are there for a reason obviously but if oil passes through freely at ambient then you should be ok. I:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try a red hot screw to pierce the rubber if you can puncture it and remove but as for the pick up pipe the nozzle is mounted at an optimum distance from the sump and because my job is testing PUPs I have trialed partialy blocked pipes with no adverse effects on performance but blocked holes can lead to excess pressure in the head (Dont thimk that will happen) but if it does it will be on cold starts as the oil is thicker. The holes are there for a reason obviously but if oil passes through freely at ambient then you should be ok. I:
the rubber has got a hole in it, its a mounting grommet i think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts