VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK it appear that due to the hard lives that a lot of our beloved vans have lived with previous owners and a bit of a weak design a lot of us inherit the "Broken Drinks Holder" normally without the actual plastic holder bit or the springs and hinge are missing.

Having been in the same boat and read a number of threads in the past few years on the subject I had come to the conclusion that the only option eventually was to eventually fork out the £76 odd quid (+ vat) at my local TPS (expect to pay even more a a VW dealer parts dept) to buy a brand spanking new one. A bit of an extravagance just to hold the odd can of coke or bottled water etc, but then it was always going to niggle me and nag my inner "OCD" streak.H:

However over the years I did keep coming across postings on the forum of a cheaper version (£31.76 + vat) but no part number (even though I asked), so until very recently I thought I knew what I would be asking the wife for Xmas this year, a £76 version.

Thats was until the other week when I happened to come across a posting from a fellow forum member who appeared to have had one of these cheaper version fitted but due to it developing an electrical fault with the ciggy lighter was offering it up for sale for the princely sum of £20, so taking a punt I thought "I wonder if this is the elusive cheaper version I had sought ?".

Oh and the elctrical fault turned out to be the red and brown wiring was frayed and had obivoulsy been shorting out and blowing a fuse. Soon sorted that and re-enforced the wiring by adding some black cloth wiring loom tape for extra protection (may well be a good idea to do this to all of them as the unit I brought was only a few months old !)

The answer yes it was and below are my findings and also I have posted links to other useful threads that are related to repairing the ash tray/drinks holder and how to remove the lower dash trim to enable you to swap them out if you so wish.

The differences are :-

1/ The Ciggy lighter socket on the cheaper version isn't illuminated but will power what you plug into it. i.e. phone charger, Sat nav etc.
2/ There is no sliding cover over the ash tray insert on the cheaper version
3/ The ciggy lighter socket doesn't support the actual "pus down/pop up" ciggy lighter.
4/ The cheaper versions Ash tray insert is slight larger as the lit ciggy holders moulding is not there.

So firstly the cheaper (£31.76 + vat) Ash Tray/Drinks Holder part number is : 7H2 858 601 30T.

The "original" version's part number is : 7H2 857 321 G

Now for some pictures and captions so you can see the differences :-

Pic A is the more expensive version which would appear to come with all T5's (well deffo the panel vans) from the factory. This is mine which obivoulsy doesn't have the drinks holders any more.

Pic B is the cheaper version.

Note that in both pics the Grey plastic trim piece (which is supplied with the cheaper version) has just been unclipped, so don't worry that you can't see it in the photos.

Pics C & D show the under side of the two units.

Pic C is again the original unit and Pic D the cheaper replacement.

Note that the wiring for the ciggy socket on the cheaper version is missing the light grey wire which I assume was for the illumination ring.

Pics E & F show the electrical connector that the vehicle loom plugs into at the rear of the units.

Pics G & H show close ups of the Ciggy socket.

I have tried to get the original socket out of its hole but to no avail as I was wondering if it would be possible to swap them out, not sure if it could be done without breaking it.

Pic I is another close up of the electrical connectors (the left hand one is the original version)

Pic J shows the two Ash Tray inserts side by side, the one on the left is the supplied larger cheaper version and the one of the right the "old" original version.

They are inter-changeable and I'm pretty sure that if you really did want to have a sliding cover over your "old" ash tray insert you could move it across to the new cheaper unit as the runner slots for the slide are on the cheaper version.

But personally I would rather have the increased storage space (as a non smoker) and a nice new insert rather than a Skanky old ash ridden one, so didn't do this.

Finally a close up shot of the original Ciggy light socket, whcih shows the bi-metailic strip for the ciggy lighter that isn't on the cheaper version.

So if you want a cheaper alternative to the original fitted version and can live with the slight difference then there you go.

Pictures of how to remove the lower dash panel can be seen on this thread :http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167728 post #7.

And if you want to have a go at repairing your original drinks holders (if you still have the bits) and are a bit handy with the DIY then there is a very useful thread (posted by spirals) here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188447&highlight=TRAY.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Great post well done glich ,
my work van has taunted me for 2 years with its broken cup holder that rattles , but not for much longer T:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isnt the cheap one the gp t5.1 version? My 61 reg came with that one as standard.
Well if thats the case then it may explain it, along with the omission of engine battery covers and engine cover under trays from various different vans over the past years I suspect it's yet another cost reduction exercise by VW to shave a few pounds off the production costs.

Still it fits a treat on my 2005 model.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well if thats the case then it may explain it, along with the omission of engine battery covers and engine cover under trays from various different vans over the past years I suspect it's yet another cost reduction exercise by VW to shave a few pounds off the production costs.

Still it fits a treat on my 2005 model.
Just looked in gp price list. They want £18 to upgrade the ashtray ( smokers pack) which includes sliding lid LOL:

·
Registered
537 Posts
How easy is it to unclip the grey plastic trim piece from the front Jason? My drinks holder is fine but the trim piece has been massacred by a previous owner - it looks like something was stuck on and then removed subtley using a blunt macheteI:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve & Sarah,

Thanks for the kind words not sure about being OCD Steve (You should see my den come office at home, its a right mess !) to be honest I like to think of my self as just a bloke who likes to do a job really well and share my success's with others in the best way possible.

At the moment I'm working on two van related projects one of which is a bit of a financial gamble (about £170 worth :eek:) and the other not so much initially, just about a tenner, but may lead onto a more expensive purchase if it works out.

Both will be documented to my normal standard if any body wants to follow suit....if they are a success, not going to share my screw ups with you lot on here, never hear the end of itLOL:

Cheers Jason

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.