VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As per title. Can anyone recommend a small awning for my T5. Will only be used for weekends away and just need a small space to store a few bits and maybe a child to sleep in so ideally attached to van. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Depends what you mean by ‘small’. When I started on the T5, I borrowed a drive away awning from a friend, just to see whether it was worth the hassle. Took us around 45 minutes to pitch, and appeared to be around the same square meters as my house in footprint.

Then SWMBO (who loves researching tents, awnings, and all accessories) decided on the Vango Kela IV inflatable beam thingy that cost loads. Luckily, she found a secondhand one that had only one use, and it was under half price if we fetched it. Many uses since, and I’d recommend it. Easy to put up, and separate from van, not too big... and you can get it back into the storage bag. Which I’ve never before had with any tent-thing, ever...

Anyway, here’s a picture of my glamorous assistant, showing both the the Kela IV attached to the van... plus my opinion of the DVLA at that time :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Was hoping to spend a little less but appreciate you get what you pay for. The added bonus of being able to get it in the bag is worth a few quid.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We had a Khyam Motordome Sleeper for a few years. It was great but absolutely massive both up and packed away. Even with 2 kids and a dog it seemed OTT for a lot of our trips. Sold it last year and found a barely used Vango Kela for £250. Its great - packs down small, goes up in 5 minutes and provides just enough space for table/chairs/larder unit. Can easily lob stuff in it if you go out for the day in the van.

Wouldn't buy a new one (what are they, £500+?) but plenty of used ones about. I did a fair amount of research and most people's response was the same - buy a Kela.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for replies. What is the preferred way of attachment. I don’t have bars or gutter. I have seen magnetic kits as well. Ideally would have a look but obviously nowhere open at present.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I was literally just looking at the magnetic rail, not sure how good they are, feedback doesn't look so good as people are reporting weak magnets.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Anyone got any experience with this? Revolution Tech Canopy, seems like a decent middle ground between just a canopy and full on awning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be my worry. Not sure how much an awning rail would be? Didn’t fancy drilling the outside of the van though.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Magnetic joining strips, in my experience, are fairly rubbish and fall off in anything over a flat calm. How many times does that happen when camping?

I got a permanent gutter attachment rail from a stall at BusFest last year and fitted that instead. (Sorry, cannot remember what it cost, but it was less than 70 sheets, sorry Pd! And came with the holes pre drilled.)

You don’t have to drill the top of the van to fit it, it bolts into the same holes that are already being used for roof rails or pop-roof. The only awkward bit is fitting it under the pop mounts - in an ideal world, you’d fit one of these before the roof... But we don’t live in an ideal world, do we? Otherwise we’d all be camping with cold beer this weekend 😕

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about this one mate, nice and discrete and no drilling required = win win (y) Just got to decide on which canopy / awning to go for.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I’ve got one of these (pic below). Spare now I have got my crafter. Great for weekends and easy to put up and packs away small. Only used a couple of times last year.
Come and collect £50

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. I don’t ha pave a pop top up any roof bars. Sounds like the magnetic option is a no so I am guessing the one in the link will work on mine, or something similar anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
So you've got the gutters but no roof bars, the rail I linked will work with the bolt fixings that are already in the gutter then.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts