VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for your help. Will be going down the rail route rather than magnetic. Just need to decide on an awning.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Probably a daft question, but...do you need the figure of 8 and kador strip? Does the awning not just fit direct to the rail like on a caravan?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You dont need it as the awning will go straight in the c channel but using the kador strips makes it easier to connect when driving off for the day as you can stick the van next to it then attach the strips rather than having to reverse the van into a awning fixed to the floor.
Obviously wont need it at all if you just had a shelter

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
The olpro range looks decent...i was considering one of their inflatable ones. They do appear have a once in a lifetime sale every 2 days which i dont really like.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Well this forum has done it to me once again, taken my original plan and made it more expensive 😂 went from a simple sun canopy, to an open front awning to now a fully drive away awning! So looking forward to being able to get out and start enjoying the camping scene.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Apologies. I started this thread. I am using my pub and holiday fund which has a surplus. I know what you mean though. Always goes over budget because you want the better one. I am still deciding which to go for. Hoping to research over the bank holiday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definitely go air beam its so much easier and hold up really well in the English weather of storms!
I've had a vango kela and now have a larger sapera, both second hand for less than 200 each in really good condition

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have been looking on the web. Has anyone any experience of the outdoor revolution Turismo air. A little cheaper than air beams

·
Registered
444 Posts
We had a Khyam Motordome Sleeper for a few years. It was great but absolutely massive both up and packed away. Even with 2 kids and a dog it seemed OTT for a lot of our trips. Sold it last year and found a barely used Vango Kela for £250. Its great - packs down small, goes up in 5 minutes and provides just enough space for table/chairs/larder unit. Can easily lob stuff in it if you go out for the day in the van.

Wouldn't buy a new one (what are they, £500+?) but plenty of used ones about. I did a fair amount of research and most people's response was the same - buy a Kela.
I have the Motordome Sleeper which is fantastic for long trips and even though it goes up and down easily enough it's still overkill for the odd night away.

My wife would prefer something that just pops up in seconds and though a sun canopy can do this I pointed out we'd want something with a front so we can leave stuff out when we pop to the pub. Then I'm thinking what if we want to go somewhere and now I'm back to needing a small drive away and even the Kela looks like a faff when comparing it to my original briefing!

Still looking!

·
Registered
92 Posts
That does look good but I'd prefer a sewn in ground sheet for when its windy or damp
Good alternative to just a open shelter

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have an Outwell Darlington driveaway awning - picked it up off eBay for £100 - only been used once.
It's perfect for me n the mrs - has a sewn in groundsheet and I can use it as a bedroom for my daughter if she comes with us, otherwise it's big enough for us to have a table n chairs in and packs down small enough to not take over the entire van. We borrowed my mates Vango air awning last year and it was huuuuuge. Brilliant. But huuuge. Two massive bags for the awning, and groundsheet/carpet / inner bedroom etc. - really takes up a lot of room inside when travelling and whilst it was fairly quick to put up, it was a pain to pack away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have a wind out awning with sides that we use for one or two nights. It takes up very little space and a couple of minutes to put up. We also have a vango hexaway (air) which is brilliant but big (to store and carry) and takes about 30 mins to put up. You get loads of airflow, so stays relatively cool in hot weather and it barely moves in strong winds. Used a genuine VW california rail to attach the driveaway awning. It wasn't cheap, I stuck it on with double sided tape and structural adhesive and then silicon sealed (again genuine VW and again not cheap). This is how VW say they attach them, but after looking at T6 California (whilst collecting my parts for my converted T5), I have noticed they don't bother with the sealant and there is a gap for water to get in and sit. I don't see why other rails can't be held on with structural adhesive alone. Once it is on, it won't come off.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I've been looking and looking and trying to decide what I want, whether I'll ever leave the awning behind while I pop out in the van, thing is a drive away isn't vastly more expensive than a non drive away, so for me, having that as an option makes sense.
This one is currently top of my list...
Outdoor Revolution Cayman Drive-away Awning Low 180-240cm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’m still looking and reviewing. Difficult to decide, would definitely be easier to see up close at a show or showroom I think.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've noticed that Go Outdoors seem to have 2 exclusive Vango awnings (Elwood & Palm) that are cheaper but appear to be otherwise identical to 2 other Vango awnings (Siesta & Palm). I was looking at the Kilda which looks the same as the Palm only cheaper. I was ready to hit the button but the 10% off code won't work with it which has annoyed me no end as I don't like paying more than I originally thought I would pay!

That or the Outdoor Revolution Turismo Air?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm considering not buying a driveaway cuz we never disconnect it anyway , something like this maybe -
That's one of the ones I just mentioned in my previous post, the Elwood looks the same to me but £50 cheaper.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts