VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all
New to forum but always VW and vans.
Now a family of four camping, looking for a new drive away awning to fit our T5 2010 Caravelle, what do you go for an awning that sleeps four or two and two in the van?
Thinking about either a Khyam or Vango with the air beams so easy to put up? What's best way to fix to a caravelle, no roof rails yet... And have they sorted out a way not to foul up sliding door?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Hi all
New to forum but always VW and vans.
Now a family of four camping, looking for a new drive away awning to fit our T5 2010 Caravelle, what do you go for an awning that sleeps four or two and two in the van?
Thinking about either a Khyam or Vango with the air beams so easy to put up? What's best way to fix to a caravelle, no roof rails yet... And have they sorted out a way not to foul up sliding door?
Cheers
awning to sleep 4 - frees up space in the van for storage or in the tent whatever way you look at it it's not much bigger but its a lot better IMO.

I have the Khyam one for sale (used only once) and it's blooming marvellous. Costs about £400 from memory. I'd like £300.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ide go for the larger Vango Air Beam Sepera or the Kyham Motordome sleeper - both very good T:

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have a kyham drive away xc. its got a huge living space and has 2 bedroom compartments aswell. it takes no longer than 15mins to put up. the van can be unloaded into the awning so nothing is cluttered

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Thanks for the info, which one is it any pics? Cheers
The best one :D the khyam motordome sleeper, ps apaarently I am out on the price it's about £600 new sometimes around £500 when on offer. Either way I will keep my word and sell for £300 and from memory I have the khyam SPS groundsheet which is about £70 can sell that for £40.

Bargain!!T:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ideal, it see you have roof bars on your van do you use Velcro to fix the awning to it or have you put something else on the van roof?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
We had a vango air beam sapera followed by a khyam motordome and now have the motordome sleeper. all are great awnings.
We also have a caravelle!
Personally I think the best of the bunch is the motordome sleeper. we picked ours up brand new on ebay for £250 and it is the 2014 model. So be patient and you will get a deal!
Also we use the genuine California rail with kador adaptor to attach to the van. Its a great system and we have no problem with the awning fouling the sliding doors!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just checking in - how are people getting on with their awnings? Many peeps been out camping?

We bought the Khyam Motordome 2015 model and quite like it. We've only used it twice so still working out the driveaway and come back scenario. What do people use to mark where to park the van next to awning? (We have a California rail with kador strip.)

I find the Motordome easy to put up and very functional. Haven't slept in it yet but love the extra space it gives us (2 adults 2 kids).

In terms of the sliding door tearing the awning, we've just had to be extremely careful opening the door. We were told to buy a rubber door stopper so that the sliding door doesn't open all the way. Will try a cheap one from Wilkos and see what happens.

Happy camping folks! :ILU:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I use the pole & clamp method to attach the awning. This means I can overhang the awning off the rail at the back so I can fully open the door.
Usually peg out a fluorescent guy rope along side the wheels once set up. Then use that as a guide for re-positioning the van when returning to the site.T:

·
Custom Vans
1,179 Posts
Had Motordome and Motordome sleeper but upgraded to Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 3 this year feels a lot bigger than the sleeper and has massive windows but the footprint is about the same and sits parallel to the van.

We have 2014 models in stock I: as well as 2015 Movelite 2s T:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use the pole & clamp method to attach the awning. This means I can overhang the awning off the rail at the back so I can fully open the door.
Usually peg out a fluorescent guy rope along side the wheels once set up. Then use that as a guide for re-positioning the van when returning to the site.T:
Could you expand on what you mean by the pole and clamp system, pics would be helpful also/

Thanks

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts