VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is having problems with the drivers door locking mechanism on his 1998 T4 ( non central locking version).

Since last weekend when he closes the drivers door it automatically locks and will not open until he inserts and turns the key.

Normally you have to lock the drivers door with the key so that you cannot accidentally lock your keys and belonging inside.

The scenario now is:-

When you get out of the van and close the door ( or the door blows or falls shut ) then you can't get back in without unlocking with a key ( which may still be in the ignition or on the seat along with your wallet and mobile phone ) I:

Father has managed to lock himself out of the van 3 times this week. :bhd I:

When inside the van with the door closed, when you want to get out you have to either:-

1. Wind down the window, reach through, insert the key and turn it whilst pulling the handle.

2. Slide over and get out of the passenger door.

We have removed the door card and the door mechanism, sprayed the mechanism with WD40 and replaced it.

The problem is still the same.:(

Do the above symptoms point to a worn door mechanism or maybe just one certain part that can be replaced?.

Thank You

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Just had a look at the photos and the mechanism looks to be different to the one on my fathers T4.

Would the repairs be the same for a non central locking system?.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
is the button dropping? if so probably the small spring (same model as ours)
I did fix ours but it's fiddly
first thing is to get a simple key cut & hide it well under the van so at least you can get in anytime/anywhere, amazed everyone doesn't

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have a picture of the ( non central locking ) door locking mechanism or a link to a picture please?.

We didn't find a spring even though we removed and dismantled the mechanism.:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts