VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my drivers window(electric) struggles as it is reaches the top. Thought it was the window guides and rails so stripped the door panel and lubed everything but it still does it sometimes as though it isnt sitting square. My question is do you think it is wear in the mechanism(150k) or something else, i am sure it is mechanical and not electrical. Maybe one of you vw techs like dazboi has seen this often and might be able to push me in the right direction. thank you in advance. adam.:ILU:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
it may be the rubber window seal ive seen it a few times, goes slowly up then drops back down or jams

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thats exactly what it does.. thanks dazboi i will try a new seal.
Thanks guys for the other answers i didnt explain i'd tested the switch and contact clean n airlined it, but cheers anyway. Adam:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heyup dazboi no i didnt yet, been doin the night shifts but gettin onto it soon. I got some precision silicone from work and am goina take the trim off and try it on the window guides and seals although i did this already with wd40 and that didnt work, maybe silicone will? Have noticed a bit more play side to side in the window in the o/s in comparison to the n/s. Just not sure what holds the window to the mechanism yet or if the windows just have a bit of play in them, i dunno? I just noticed the window seems okay in the wet / rain so i reckon it is goina be the seals like ya say. Thanks for asking dude, will let you know how i fix it.:ILU::)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just as a side note, WD40 isn't really a lubricant, it's a degrease/deruster type material. Although it does have some lubricating properties they soon stop. That's why it's such bad stuff on a bike chain, it actually removes the grease and oil.

Hopoefully the silicon will do a more suitable job.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i was always told wd40 was useful as a water dispersant not a lubricant, be careful will silicone based products

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SortedT: Stripped the door and lubed the inside of the seals with 'Rocol' presicion silicone, had used some Autosmart trim silicone on it before to no avail but this stuff has cut the mustard! Know what ya mean about wd40 / penetrant but us mechanics often use it to see if something will move easier or stop squeekin, its a first point of call if you like and often the handiest thing around in any garage. So thats a lesson learnt:- lube spray dont always lube and silicone comes in different kinds of slippyness's. Im just glad it wasn't the mechanism. Thanks for your help and replies guys. Another point for The dazboi.:ILU:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts