VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i decided to change my bottom ball joints (2.5 tdi ajt) and all was going well until..... hub assembly dropped and pulled the drive shaft out of the gear box! :eek: note to all thinking about doing this for the first time - remove the torsion bar nut first after jacking and removing wheel! I:

Any way now got the outer drive shaft out of the way (gotta replace the outer cv boot as it split when assembly dropped) and am trying to push the drive shaft back into the gearbox/diff. The spring clip is still on the shaft which is good but i can't seem to get the thing back in. This is all the drivers side (right)

I haven't moved the van or started it since cocking it up and 99% sure the drive shaft isn't twisted, so am wondering if there is a special technique to getting the drive shaft back in the gear box!! What do i need to do!?!?!

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
867 Posts
i had to unbolt mine from the gearbox but anyway.......

you need to smack the thing in with a heavy soft mallet T:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply quick reply rotax. Quick question - how come you had to unbolt the tube type thing from the diff?
I've tried giving it a smack but the bitch wont go in!!! Are there any shims that may have dropped or do i need a bigger hammer!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It won't be a shim etc as there aren't any on the inner joint, the shaft will move in and out as long as the bearings remin within their cage. Howerver if you pull it too far the bearings will drop out of their guides within the cage and you will need it on a bench to put it back together or may even be worth getting a new one and replacing it while you've got it off!

If you decide to get a replacement go to http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/

They make the joints and are a major supplier for alot of manufacturers, but as a result you can get an outer kit for around £15 and and inner for around £20 plus postage!

Replaced all of mine while engine rebuild was being done!

Hope this helps?! :ILU:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quick question - how come you had to unbolt the tube type thing from the diff?
because i was taking the gearbox out, i always unbolt the 6 star shaped bolts, i never pull the shafts out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanx for the reply quick reply rotax. Quick question - how come you had to unbolt the tube type thing from the diff?
I've tried giving it a smack but the bitch wont go in!!! Are there any shims that may have dropped or do i need a bigger hammer!!
hitting the end of the shaft won't work as the cv joints will absorb the shock. get a long flat bar place one at the flang on the iner joint where the blots show and tap the other end firmily not belt the day lights out of it, if thers no movement twist the shaft slightily as the splines may need alined and try again. once you have engaged the splines tap it home you will feel and hear the diffrence. btw don't forget to refill you gearbox with gb oil

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so the sun is out, im covered in greese and still having a mere!

This is the offending shaft

I have removed the spring clip from the end, and it goes all the way in not bother.

Spring clip back on

You can see scratches and burr where something is stopping the thing going in.

Am i going to have to take this off

To get it back in then reinstall the complete shaft,shaft casing assembly? If so this looks like an access pig for bolts.

Rubbish view down the end of where the shaft is going looks clear, bearing don't seem to have dropped at far end. But maybe its them grinding into the spring clip? Will hitting it past the bearing not damage them?

Tried a wiggle when in gear to line up splines, but i can turn the shaft and the other wheel goes round so it must be engaging in the diff!

Might be time to suck it up and get someone round at vast expence no doubt!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All sorted now. Borrowed a bigger hammer!! Clunk and its in. Cheers for the help folks, damm good forum this! Next on the list leaky rad!

One day i'll fit the intercooler i got, do the camper conversion and use the thing!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you manage to get this in as I cannot seem too.i have also removed the carrier and tried that way but still no joy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts