VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to track down a clunking or knocking noise on my 2.5TDi. It's noticable under acceleration or deceleration, is proportionate to wheel speed not engine speed, and disappears when the clutch is depressed. It first emerged a few months ago, and then disappeared completely as soon as I took it to a garage for them to have a look! All was quiet for a few weeks and then it came back.
I've just had the front up and the wheels off; there doesn't appear to be any wear in the driveshafts as rotating the wheel back and forward gives the same amount of movement in the shaft at the diff. My question is how much slack should there be in the diff/gearbox with the bus in gear? I can rotate both wheels approx 1-2cm forward and back, which seems a little excessive.
Any and all ideas gratefully received...

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
From your description I would be checking the gearbox to body pendulum arm bushes or (worse) the DMF (dual mass flywheel) :ILU:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, hadn't considered those; in fact I wasn't aware that I had a DMF. Doesn't sound like a bush problem as the knocking is approx once per wheel rotation rather than related to throttle movement. Would this tally with a DMF problem?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have a very similar problem in mine,though it`s a 2.4D, knocking when I lift my foot off the throttle, it too has disappeared again like yours. I was planning to record the sound tonight for a second opinion and the noise has gone :*

I had it with my mechanic who reckoned the driveshafts were sound, I`m thinking it`s the stub axle area from the gearbox?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1.9 td after checking most of the obvious things it turned out to be the outer CVJ nearside, but remember there is an inner CVJ too it could be that check them both, regards bighook,T:T:T:T:T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts