VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would do post in case anyone is looking at driving in or through France this year, it looks like you will now need to have a breathalyzer in your car as well as the other bits you need.

http://www.thelocal.fr/1920/20111201/

Im guessing that they might target cars with GB plates as they could be an easy target.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I might have to check the load carrying limit of the van with all this kit needed to get into France ;)

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
there'll be no room for all the **** and booze i need for my wedding at this rate :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess that's fair enough. The more of these measurments they'll take the safer the more awareness they raise and the safer the roads will be. :)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Sort of makes sense.... BUT... if you have one and when the Les Flics stop you and it is un-used, then what?

Do you have to carry a used one to prove you checked? And do you have to blow in one every time you get behind the wheel?

They sell them in most bars.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i cant see the speed cameras bothering me towing a 26' caravan!!! might get done for going too slow!:)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
LOL - for me, the 130kph is OK. On some roads 110 seems slow, but, as I am sure I have posted before, it works OK.

I only wish our roads were as well policed (I don't mean vigorously - I mean what I said) and the traffic moved so well.

I applaud their tackling of tailgating. The DO need to deal with drink driving, but with the police having an allowance of booze when on duty, that's going to be a tough one.

A

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
cheers for the heads up mate, have to take more every year! Any idea anyone where I can buy them in england, if not will have to hope they sell them in aires. Anyone manage to find a spare bulb kit for a T5? no problems when I had the golf /TT/ etc but Halfords don't make one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The breathlyzer thing isn't law yet, its still being debated because of the problem about when you're actually meant to use it!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I just thought I would do post in case anyone is looking at driving in or through France this year, it looks like you will now need to have a breathalyzer in your car as well as the other bits you need.

http://www.thelocal.fr/1920/20111201/

Im guessing that they might target cars with GB plates as they could be an easy target.

What ? What a ridiculous idea.
This'll be another one of those laws the French have but don't enforce on their own countrymen.

As long as you have room in the boot for the cowardly Gendarmes who stop you, you'll be fine. Show any 'resistance' and they'll be off like a shot rooting through their car looking for their police issue white flags.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Important note on speed cameras from this article:

http://www.lemonde.fr/election-pres...nter-le-nombre-de-radars_1611384_1471069.html

He says that there will no longer be advanced warning of speed cameras, as there is now, and that there will be a further 400 fixed points by the end of 2012.

And, that in car systems (such as Sat Nav) will be banned from warning of upcoming speed cameras.

A
Damn. The French roads are such a pleasure to drive on compared to our clogged up decaying, pot-hole ridden dirt tracks. Its very difficult not to speed out there because the ride is so smooth, it feels like you're barely moving compared to the bone crunching agony of labour neglected UK roads.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
French riot police threaten to strike over alcohol ban

France's riot police have complained about being "treated like children" following a new ban on drinking alcohol while on duty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8466446/French-riot-police-threaten-to-strike-over-alcohol-ban.html

An old story but gives a clue as to where some of the problems will be in enforcing the law.

"While British police are strictly barred from drinking on duty, the French have traditionally been allowed 25cl of wine or a small beer with their main meal of the day.
It was normally served on an official tray and sometimes eaten in full view of the public, often outside riot-control vans.
"Our right to drink alcohol with our food is protected by the law and our members are very unhappy at being treated like children," Mr Mangione added."

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I always say if you’re going to be driving in France
Do your driving in the morning coz in the afternoon most of em is pickled

I stopped at a motorway services in Macon and every meal came with a HALF LITER of wine?????????
And I pulled up in a village square and saw a couple of police go for dinner A beer to start, bottle of wine with the meal and a brandy to finish .. And then back in the cop car and back to work ????
Somewhat bizarre

Don’t forget your high viz jerkin in the event of a breakdown
(ONE FOR EVERY SEAT IN THE VEHICLE IN SPAIN)
Spare pair of glasses (if you need them)
Fuse and bulb kit
Warning triangle X2 if you tow a trailer
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
And I am sure there will be other bits but I don’t worry about them

As to fixed speed cameras To one near to my place in France unfortunatly keeps getting its head shot off ????

Many many of the people round have been stopped and fined 90 euro for not using a seat belt , It seems to be the HOT TOPIC at the moment

·
Registered
140 Posts
I remember the days (not that long ago) when you were allowed to drink and drive, as long as you had a meal with the booze, and you only had to get a Controle Technique (MOT) when you bought a car, not every year. Ironically, drink-driving is (or was) a way of life in France - they all drive to the pub - 'ave a few - and drive home.

I was once warned in a supermarket that the Gendarmes need to see proof of purchase for any alcohol you are carrying (I've no idea why!). I did nearly get caught "smuggling" booze out of tax-haven Andorra - the Douanes decided to come off their lunch-break just as I came up to the border. Oops. I had an "interesting" discussion about whether I was Irish or British - he said "but on your passeport it says 'Ireland!" He got bored eventually and waved me through with the words "you all crazy, you British!"

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As someone who has been driving in France / Brittany for 20 years, things have improoved a lot. People would think nothing of getting completly shovelled then driving home. I worked in a restauraunt for a while and one of the regulars had an auto as manuals were too complicated to operate after a couple or three bottles of wine over lunch. We would regularly carry him to his car, start the engine, pop it into D and stand back sharpish as he took off up the road.

That has changed to a large extent it's a lot less acceptable now. Of course if you do get a pull at one of their mobile roadblocks and fail, it's look out time. Your car will be dumped at the side of the road, none of this taking it to the station mularkey. When you get to the police station don't say anything about your rights, point one you don't have any and point two you risk getting a kicking, no such thing as PACE in France.

The person who said the French Police are all chicken has obviously never had to deal with them.

The moment that little machine light went red your licence went west, you are banned the moment you fail the test. You will still get a years ban from the date the magistrate hears the case, and I belive it will be a ban that affects you in the UK too.

Of course if you were in France you would need a Liver function test before you get your licence back at the end of the year, fail that and you are still banned.

In terms of speed cameras their little grey boxes are all very well, but look out for the Genderme with the camera, If s/he gets a mugshot of your truck at warp factor eight, best you have a goodly pile in the bank as the fine is on the spot and they will take you to a cashpoint to take out the dosh!!

Before argiung the toss please note they have guns and are not that bothered about using them. A few years ago a sargeant had a skinfull then thought it might be a good idea to put a couple of rounds through the front window of a cafe whose ownner had annoyed him. He lost one stripe and got moved about 20 miles away - be warned!!

All that bad news said, driving in France is great fun as the roads are maintained to a far higher standard than here and there simply isn't the traffic.

I'm hoping to spend much of the summer out there this year.

Rhys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts