VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, esteemed forum members. We've just had an invitation to a wedding in Veneto next June. We're thinking about taking the van and spending a few days getting there. It's about 1200 miles each way.Any advice or suggestions re routes, sites along the way or places to avoid would be very gratefully received. Cheers.T:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would travel via Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany & Austria. No motorway tolls that way.
Buy fuel in Luxembourg it's cheaper there.
You have to buy a vignette to use motorways in Austria.

My itinerary would be:
Day 1 drive to Stuttgart -stay overnight somewhere near the city.
Day 2 visit the Porsche museum & stay overnight in same place as night 1
Day 3 drive to Hohenschwangau via Ulm have lunch in Ulm and look round the city, stay overnight in/near Hohenschwangau
Day 4 visit Neuschwanstein stay overnight again in/near Hohenschwangau
Day 5 drive to Veneto

Neuschwanstein it is the most spectacular castle you will ever see. It's close to border with Austria and on the way to Eastern Italy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would travel via Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany & Austria. No motorway tolls that way.
Buy fuel in Luxembourg it's cheaper there.
You have to buy a vignette to use motorways in Austria.

My itinerary would be:
Day 1 drive to Stuttgart -stay overnight somewhere near the city.
Day 2 visit the Porsche museum & stay overnight in same place as night 1
Day 3 drive to Hohenschwangau via Ulm have lunch in Ulm and look round the city, stay overnight in/near Hohenschwangau
Day 4 visit Neuschwanstein stay overnight again in/near Hohenschwangau
Day 5 drive to Veneto

Neuschwanstein it is the most spectacular castle you will ever see. It's close to border with Austria and on the way to Eastern Italy.
Some interesting suggestions, thanks. I know Stuttgart, Luxembourg and Ulm from previous hols. Hadn't thought of this route. Keep 'em coming!T:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm following this one with interest as I've always wanted to dive to Italy and felt that it was a wee bit far in the split screen now I've got a T5 too there's no stopping me next year.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now looks like we'll arrive in Dunkirk on Monday afternoon at around 2pm, so 3pm French time, and need to be in Veneto by late afternoon Friday. So, a day short for that route but still planning. By the way, can't believe the difference in ferry prices between Calais and Dunkirk routes. I think we're about to become long term fans of the Dunkirk ferry! £210 return vs £59!:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That was very successful, and we did go through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, as suggested, buying diesel in Luxembourg on the way down and the way back. Thanks for the great tips. Went through the St Gotthard tunnel and through Switzerland to Lake Como, before moving on to northern Veneto, north of Treviso, for the wedding. Came back through Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium, with a quick dip into Liechtenstein on the way. Didn't stop for anything in Switzerland, as it's fiercely expensive. Best facilities in campsites on this trip, Germany. Worst site, Belgium. Friendliest, Luxembourg, Austria and Italy. Back for more in a few weeks. Will have to go back a couple of times this year, just to make the darned Swiss Vignette pay for itself. T:

Places stayed at.

Luzembourg (Larochette)
Staufen, nr Freiburg
Abbadia Lariana, Como
St Stefano - Valdobbiadene (Agriturismo, not van,for three days for family wedding)
Nenzing - alpine site, stunning views. (Austria... close to Lake Constance)
Freiburg
Trier
Middelkerke (Do not touch with barge pole. Overpriced, overpriced food in restaurant, only site have ever stayed on which tells you to bring your own loo roll!)Will stay in Nieuwport next time. Just couldn't find anywhere in Bruges, which was what we wanted.

Off to Studland Bay this coming weekend.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts