VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had a droning noise which i thought i had narrowed down to a wheel bearing.

I have also had 4 new tyres, noise was there before and after.

Changed the wheel bearing on the front left, but the noise is still there, not as bad but still there.

The noise is only really obvious when i put pressure/steer slightly left, it used to be when i would steer slightly right!!

could it be the inner cv joint? or should i change the drivers side wheel bearing as well?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
droning usually is a bearing as you say, cv joints usually knock, but could be low on grease...

have you check the oil level in your gearbox lately... might me a tad low...

check also your wheel alignment ... even if its not pulling to any side excessive tow in or out could cause scrubbing of the tyres and creating a droning noise ...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
droning usually is a bearing as you say, cv joints usually knock, but could be low on grease...

have you check the oil level in your gearbox lately... might me a tad low...

check also your wheel alignment ... even if its not pulling to any side excessive tow in or out could cause scrubbing of the tyres and creating a droning noise ...
gearos is an auto and was replaced earlier in the year but good idea i will check.

wheel alignment needs doing after the new tyres and the hub was taken off

·
Registered
340 Posts
When turning left the weight goes to the front right wheel, When turning right, the weight to the left front wheel....

You said you replaced one side, so now replace the other bud.

you can usually narrow down the wheel bearing issue to left or right by swerving from left to right and that will make the noise worse, if its a wheel bearing. (obviously make sure no one else is around you whilst swerving, and dont do it at high speed.... HAHAHA I know its obvious, but some people need telling)

From your description, both needed doing and you only did one.

That would be my first port of call.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had the tracking done today and now the noise is there when driving in a straight line, still have to do the drivers side bearing but it sounds like it is coming from the left hand side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts