VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed from 19" rims and tyres to 18" rims and tyres.

I now have a droning sound, which is like the tyres are on the wrong way round - but they're not.

The new tyres are a cheaper brand, but I wouldn't have thought that the difference would be as marked.

I know my toe in is OK as a garage that said they couldn't do my tracking/alignment was able to look at the toe, and the camber looks about right.

SO - what am I missing? Does the brand of the tyre make 'that much of a difference'? Or have I upset something else?

Your ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi . i had a similar problem when i fitted new tyres to my van .. I'm sure they were called triangles or something . cheap but utter gash :(

had to change them in the end and the noise went away .

might be worth trying another set of rims just to check it is the tyres ..

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
tyre brand/ tread pattern makes a huge differnce i used to run bridgestone potenzas on my car and the were so loud!! aslo worn tyres are louder than new.

tom

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I can confirm what Tom says too :tu

Had some Kumho Tyres which when a quarter worn sounded like the flippin wheel bearings had gone it was that bad :(

Binned them & changed to continentals & the problem was solved :ILU:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry,I should have added if the tyres grip and have enough tread so they dont need changing why not insulate the cab floor,there are plenty of threads on this and is always a bonus.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Worse tyres i ever had on rims and were really noisy was michelins:eek: Paid a lot for them thinking they were amongst the best and they were so noisy i thought the wheel bearings were gone so got them replaced and obviously that didnt work, took them off in the end and went with some budget tyres!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, it never ceases to amaze me how many on here have good advice and are willing to offer.

I was thinking about the tyres. These are the first block tread tyres I've put on. All the others have been lines or arrows - in line with the direction of travel. That may possibly be the reason then.

I know the read tracking is out as is every lowered t4 out there. it may well be these scrubbing that's making the noise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The wife drives a Honda civic aerodeck, when she first got it I was determend that the front wheel bearing had gone as it was so loud the droning sound, I changed this and still had the sound! I then got her to drive me around while I lay in the back listening to the wheels under the wheel arches, after this I changed the rear wheel bearing, cost ever building, then still the noise! She took it down to Honda, there guy took it for a spin came back and just said "oh you just got tyre roar!" Apparently the alloy wheels that come with her car were made to run on michelin tyres and anything else will just be noisy! woppey I was so glad I spent god knows how much replacing wheel bearings! Lesson learned though! Trouble is michelin tyres for her car aren't cheap, good way of honda drumming up business for michelin!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd have to agree with everyone else here, cheapie tyres are normaly noisy, the wheels on my van came with a set of yellowsea tyres and they sound like a set of 4x4 tyres, as soon as funds allow, I'll change them for something better.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was about to change the wheel bearings on mine, but maybe it is the tyres!

I get a deafening drone around the 35mph mark (sounds like ghosts in the back!), then it fades as I get quicker, am I right in thinking that is what everyone is describing here?

The van has VW 17" alloys on it, not sure about tyres but it is due a couple of fronts very soon.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread!
I was about to rip my hubs to bits thinking I've got wheel bearing problems, but now I'm thinking it might be the tyres after reading everyones description of the noise.

Mine starts really badly droning at about 35mph then fades as I get faster. It sounds like I've got ghosts in the back!:eek:

The van has 17" VW alloys with Firenza (???) 235/45/17 tyres on it. It really sounds like one of the Army Land Rovers, so I'm now thinking it probably is tyres not bearings + the handling is certainly ok. I need 2 new fronts quite soon, so would I be right in thinking continentals are the favourite so far?:confused:

..........I love this forum!! Saving me a fortune!!! I hope:D

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I've now put on new wheels and tyres since the start of this thread, and I'd like to report that the change is not great. Its MASSIVE!

I've put on mid range Dunlops at about £160 each fitted. the ride is sublime, the noise is non existant and the enjoyment of the drive - what it should be.

Add to these already positive findings the addition of my ABS not coming on at the slightest chance, the streering puting me where I want it, and not wide and the over all sure footedness and my money has been well spent.

Oh, I nearly forgot - my droning wheel bearings. Well there gone. Yipee.

The moral of the story - you get what you pay for with tyres. comfort, enjoyment and saftey are all improved; and I'm suprised by how much.

Also, i used EVENT tyres. Find them on the internet and they come and fit them for you. How good is that. I will not be using a garage again, after the excellent service I received form the first phone call, to the fitter driving away.

So, spend decent money and get someone to come to you. job done!

·
Registered
645 Posts
So, I've now put on new wheels and tyres since the start of this thread, and I'd like to report that the change is not great. Its MASSIVE!

I've put on mid range Dunlops at about £160 each fitted. the ride is sublime, the noise is non existant and the enjoyment of the drive - what it should be.

Add to these already positive findings the addition of my ABS not coming on at the slightest chance, the streering puting me where I want it, and not wide and the over all sure footedness and my money has been well spent.

Oh, I nearly forgot - my droning wheel bearings. Well there gone. Yipee.

The moral of the story - you get what you pay for with tyres. comfort, enjoyment and saftey are all improved; and I'm suprised by how much.

Also, i used EVENT tyres. Find them on the internet and they come and fit them for you. How good is that. I will not be using a garage again, after the excellent service I received form the first phone call, to the fitter driving away.

So, spend decent money and get someone to come to you. job done!
.........Dunlops it is then!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just found this thread and i ca report that i am experiencing the same noise with my car. It comes on at about 35mph and it disappears after 45mph. It is a loud resounding noise. Is this really only tyre related? What sort of noise would the bearing do? My tyres are Michelin on steel wheels.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have this noise too!! there is a name for the noise "VANBLING" will tell you cos he told me it but im old and forgot :( . . its not how much you pay its just pattern / quality / size related
dunlop goodyear avons have a good rep for noise . . .

cant wait till i can afford some till then its 50mph plus and wheel bearing noise goes

·
Registered
548 Posts
So what's the name for this noise? I am running Michelin at the moment and they are getting close to wear mark. Is it worth me changing them now or wait till i get my alloys. i can't believe the tyres would cause such a horrendous deep hum noise.
Any one here used Hankook tyres?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts