VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have Hankooks as fitted new on my 2012 T5
I have fitted heaps of sound deadening material to no avail so I guess the noise is coming up through the suspension mechanicals.
It is very noisy on co bitumen but OK on fine bitumen.
The VW agents don't want to know about it.
I think I will now take the matter further after reading this excellent forum

·
Registered
779 Posts
Had the same issue but mine baffles me completely, the cause was tyres but I dont understand the logic!

I had an rpm related drone, (sorry no rev conter so) 2nd gear at 20mph, 3rd gear at 33/35mph, 4th gear at 45mph & 5th at about 58mph. Droned really bad but only from the drivers footwell. This started after putting steel wheels on, tried swapping wheels around the van in case I had a dodgy rim but no difference.

Stuck the old alloy wheels back on with different tyres & noise is gone?

Must be the tyres but how they can drone at a specific engine rpm completely baffles me?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's called stepping, when you run directional tyres on the rear of a van or mostly large saloon motors the tyres scrub the insides out on every other block of tread ie stepping. We only fit acermetrics to this type of car on the rear or swap front to rears at half life. Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry,I should have added if the tyres grip and have enough tread so they dont need changing why not insulate the cab floor,there are plenty of threads on this and is always a bonus.
Hi guys, I did a full conversion to my T5.1 which I finished last year. I have dodo matting on 80% of the rear of the LWB plus thermal insulation and the drumming noise is horrendous. So IMHO & personal experience I don't think this makes a difference, although I have no idea how bad it would sound if I didn't have the covering and the bed, cupboards etc so am looking to change the tyres, which is a pain as they are less than a year old.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Are they cheap tyres ? Directional? Has the van been set up since the conversion ? All these will potentially make this problem worse .
The tyres are still legal but if the noise is that bad youve gotta make the call .

21 - 28 of 28 Posts