VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some problems with clunking going over pretty small dips in the road etc. and looking under the van today noticed alot of play in my drop link bushes. I guess they are supposed to be round and tight on the ARB not oval and sloppy. I think this is part of my problem!

Just wanted some opinions on options:
New drop links - under £20 a pair
new standard bushes - unknown price but cheaper i guess
Powerflex bushes with original links- £60 for a full set

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Recently put new genuine bushes in mine. New genuine links are expensive and not needed .................. cheap one's are exactly that CHEAP T:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Recently put new genuine bushes in mine. New genuine links are expensive and not needed .................. cheap one's are exactly that CHEAP T:
Forgot to say did ARB mounting buhes too they were creamed! Just a thought while you are all enthusiastic ........... yes you can get those in poly too, but why bother :*

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to say did ARB mounting buhes too they were creamed! Just a thought while you are all enthusiastic ........... yes you can get those in poly too, but why bother :*
My ARB bushes actually look ok to be honest. only reason i was looking into the poly bushes was because i have a friend who is at a powerflex dealer.
what do you suggest then? just a change of bushes or something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS-PAIR-MEYLE-FOR-VW-TRANSPORTER-T4-91-03-7D0411049-/351474085029?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
My ARB bushes actually look ok to be honest. only reason i was looking into the poly bushes was because i have a friend who is at a powerflex dealer.
what do you suggest then? just a change of bushes or something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS-PAIR-MEYLE-FOR-VW-TRANSPORTER-T4-91-03-7D0411049-/351474085029?
Have you removed the ARB bushes ..................... visually mine looked OK, once removed a whole different story :eek:

Those drop links are that price for a reason, have seen a number of them break.

My preferred route was new VW bushes, but that was just me. Was I right or wrong I guess only time will tell, but the old ones were 17 years old, and I only initially changed them as I wanted too, and had sailed through the MOT 3 weeks before (and no it was not an advisory!).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you removed the ARB bushes ..................... visually mine looked OK, once removed a whole different story :eek:

Those drop links are that price for a reason, have seen a number of them break.

My preferred route was new VW bushes, but that was just me. Was I right or wrong I guess only time will tell, but the old ones were 17 years old, and I only initially changed them as I wanted too, and had sailed through the MOT 3 weeks before (and no it was not an advisory!).
Ok i will speak to my local dealer now and get a price and availability.
Thankyou for your advise :)

Dont know how mine went through the MOT like they are! will get some pictures posted up later

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Ok i will speak to my local dealer now and get a price and availability.
Thankyou for your advise :)

Dont know how mine went through the MOT like they are! will get some pictures posted up later
If you need a quick fix, I'm sure the eBay one's will arrive in a hurry. As I said what I did was just my way of doing things ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you need a quick fix, I'm sure the eBay one's will arrive in a hurry. As I said what I did was just my way of doing things ;)
i would rather get good quality bushes and only have to do the job once.

Your way of doing things is 1 way of doing things and as you are the only one who has replied i will take your advise.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
i would rather get good quality bushes and only have to do the job once.

Your way of doing things is 1 way of doing things and as you are the only one who has replied i will take your advise.
Just so he does not feel left out of it nicklouse did also respond ................. we are all here to try and help, but only you can decide :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so he does not feel left out of it nicklouse did also respond ................. we are all here to try and help, but only you can decide :)
I didnt spot that comment!
I am up for doing whatever will last and not break the bank (too much). These sorts of jobs seem to keep coming up. Have my track rods to do aswell and no doubt there will be other bits soon

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
I didnt spot that comment!
I am up for doing whatever will last and not break the bank (too much). These sorts of jobs seem to keep coming up. Have my track rods to do aswell and no doubt there will be other bits soon
define last?

how many miles do you do a year?
lowered? (can make them wear faster).

mine were cheap Circa 20 quid from the local auto factors and were fine after 20,000 miles and 2 years when i upgraded the ARB.

just buy some and change.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
define last?

how many miles do you do a year?
lowered? (can make them wear faster).

mine were cheap Circa 20 quid from the local auto factors and were fine after 20,000 miles and 2 years when i upgraded the ARB.

just buy some and change.
I guess the term 'last' is quite vague. As long as reasonably possible. I guess the thing about the bushes is they are consumables to a certain extent.
I do around 10000 miles a year and has been lowered 35mm.

I changed them today anyway and has made a major difference! alot less wobbly and alot less clunky!

I couldn't find any genuine ones locally so i went for the same sort of option as you. Everywhere just seemed to want to sell me a full drop link for £55ish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts