VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has created a guide to replacing the droplinks on a t5? Need to do mine I think. Its a 1.9TDi T30. Can here a clunk when going slow over bumps. Just had the drive shaft replaced so pretty sure its not that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a newbie to this but generally pretty handy.

from what I understand this is how it goes.

-Jack up and put on axel stands
-Remove wheel
-unbolt the old one put an allen key/torx drive in the middle if it starts to spin
-remove old one
-pull bushes off the rod?
-replace bushes (use wd40 to slide on)
-Bolt new one in place
-wheel back on
-then same other side

not really sure about how removing and replacing the bushes goes?

·
Registered
527 Posts
As above /\ but....

I'm a newbie to this but generally pretty handy.

from what I understand this is how it goes.

-Jack up and put on axel stands
-Remove wheel
-unbolt the old one put an allen key/torx drive in the middle if it starts to spin BUY AN ANGLE GRINDER WITH A CUTTING DISC AND SAVE LOTS OF MESSING ABOUT-remove old one
-pull bushes off the rod?
-replace bushes (use wd40 to slide on)
-Bolt new one in place
-wheel back on
-then same other side

not really sure about how removing and replacing the bushes goes?

Not sure on the bush comment as mine didnt have any????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will take your advice on the angle grinder!

how long do you think it will take to do the two sides?

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
If all is 100% easy to remove then 30/45 mins a side from jack up to jack down. Took me roughly 3 hours, that was trying to drill off, waiting for wifes car, driving to B&Q to buy a grinder, cutting the sodding rusty piece of off, fitting new ones with silicoset in the new allen key hole and finishing off....ooeer!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
whats silicoset? what does it do?
It's basically silicone sealant, the sort of stuff you'd seal round the top of your bath with.
Once the drop links are fitted, filling the torx/allen/triple square (or whatever they are !) sockets in the end of the threaded studs will prevent road crud/rust filling them over the years. Then the next time you have to change/remove them, yes you still have to dig out the silicone sealant, but that's much easier than trying to dig out the crud and rust ! Once out it leaves a good-as-new cavity in which to insert you torx/allen/triple square key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts