VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

So lent the van to Mrs Hydro and her mate over the weekend and it looks liken-route the bottom coolant hose finally gave up and parted at the jubilee clip, dropping the entire coolant reservoir etc. this went unnoticed until they arrived, so maximum 25 minutes, where they notices the smell and found the engine smoking.

Whereupon I told them to leave it to cool. I had a quick look over it yesterday, dipped the oil, removed the oil filler neck and remade all the coolant connections and topped off with G48 or whatever halfrauds call their coolant for Transporters. All appears to be fine and ran up without any weird noises, but am concerned about seals and stuff that I cannot see.

Any advice on potential damage caused? Areas of specific interest?

Also notice that coolant is dripping out of one of the blocks where it enters the engine, the one that includes the sensor. Does this have specific gaskets and seals or could I strip and repair using some sort of liquid gasket sealant?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will only find out by running it / using it - gently! The leak at the temp sensor is probably a cooked "O" ring which is all that seals it to the block, if you're pulling it apart to use gasket goo you may as well replace the "O" ring.

Naff

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will only find out by running it / using it - gently! The leak at the temp sensor is probably a cooked "O" ring which is all that seals it to the block, if you're pulling it apart to use gasket goo you may as well replace the "O" ring.

Naff
Nice one, cheers Naff.

That O ring, any idea what size that is? Would I get it from Europarts/EGF? Or the main stealers?
Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure about the diameter but they should be available from the usual suppliers - TPS/Euro/GSF/Just Kampers etc.
Just Kampers sell the complete flange for about £7 and I'm sure others do also. They're almost a service part for T4s as they're made out of something with the tenstile strength of swiss cheese!

Naff

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about the diameter but they should be available from the usual suppliers - TPS/Euro/GSF/Just Kampers etc.
Just Kampers sell the complete flange for about £7 and I'm sure others do also. They're almost a service part for T4s as they're made out of something with the tenstile strength of swiss cheese!

Naff
Bloody hell, that's some strength. I will post a photograph to ensure we are talking about the same part before I buy anything. Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.