VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just been looking around my van while i wait for my springs to turn up, and have just thought: do you need to do anything with the brake compensator when you drop the back (i'm dropping it 55mm if that makes a difference)?

thanks

Beau

·
Registered
961 Posts
Apprarently you should...

Im not an expert, but as far as im aware, the compensator changes the brake bias for when you have a large load in the back... Lowering the van makes the van think its got a large load when in fact its light....

At a guess, id say with a heavier weight in the back, more brake bias would be applied to the back, to stop the back overtaking the front....

(waits for someone to correct)

i lowered my van 60 mm at christmas, and didnt do the brake compensator thing and have had to do 2 emergency stops since..... neither time have i crashed into a huge flame ball and died......

(waits for the serious police)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Serious police here!!!!!Rasp: I've dropped mine, first by 45mm and no problems, and then by another 15mm and suddenly noticed a tendency to lock up the rears when breaking heavily. My guess is that mine was seized, but shifted when I dropped it lower. A bit of wd40 and some wiggling back and forth of the compensator and then adjusting it and it's been ok. Better safe than sorry I guess.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Get it adjusted dude! Mines on a 45-50mm drop which is as I bought it but the guy who had it obviously didn't drive it hard nor did he adjust it!

This in mind, I used the van in the wet soon after I bought it and braked moderately on a wet road.............out came that ! :eek: Very scary moment and I was lucky!

Got it backed off and its behaved since!

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get it adjusted dude! Mines on a 45-50mm drop which is as I bought it but the guy who had it obviously didn't drive it hard nor did he adjust it!

This in mind, I used the van in the wet soon after I bought it and braked moderately on a wet road.............out came that ! :eek: Very scary moment and I was lucky!

Got it backed off and its behaved since!

Good luck!
Are there any how to links on here, was going to lower mine at the weekend. Now I'm scared:eek::eek:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Are there any how to links on here, was going to lower mine at the weekend. Now I'm scared:eek::eek:
Yeah i should look into it...... If your worried about lowering your van, crack on, mine handles about a million times better than it used to!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.