VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am , as the title suggests, drunk, but i was wondering if campers ever have hot water tanks fitted that are insulated and are heated by the engines own cooling system, just like the ones that many people have in their houses. ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes - eberspacher auxillary hydronic heater and calorifier. Plenty of these on ebay ripped out of BT Transits.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm. but don't these burn diesel in an independant heater? - I'm talking about something that takes heat from the running engine and stores the hot water in an insulated tank.

for the record I'm now sober

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes the auxillary heater burns diesel or petrol. Without one you'd want 2 x 't' pieces into the vehicle coolant system to run through a calorifier which is basically a hollow coil within the tank.
Where to put the tank?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
How about when you park up, you fill a large black bin bag with water AFTER putting it on the roof (bit difficult afterwards) and letting the sun's rays heat up the water. Come back from the beach and just stab it and stand under the resultant warmed water?

Sorry the thought is a bit lateral...... white wine (bought) is getting to me ! ! ! Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've heard of one fitted to a bay window(the guy did some serious travelling in that thing!!!) It consisted of copper pipe coiled around the exhaust pipe, the heat from the exhaust heated the water which was then stored in a tank, it took 20 mins driving to heat up a full tank of water. T:

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

I was given one of these a while ago, It is a copper tank with a coiled pipe that is inside the tank with an inlet and outlet sticking out of the side of the copper tank. the pipes are then connected to the van heating system.

The whole thing is very well insulated with a filling hole for cold water and tap to draw the heated water off.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Back in the day, when I was a sewerman, our LT35 vans were fitted with a handwash unit made my Teal, it was connected into the engines cooling system and hot coolant was passed through a heat exchanger inside a water tank so that you could wash your hands in warm water. Unfortunately this meant that the water was pretty much at the same temperature as the coolant i.e. too hot to wash your hands in......

So it looks like somebody at Teal got sloshed and had the idea before you....I:

It's still agood idea though T:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Stay drunk and treat yerself to a "Golden Shower" ....very economical, only energy required is pouring alcohol dowh yer neck.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
7 series BMW and S class have a stainless thermos tank which is connected to engine colling circuit when engine runs and coolant is hot. when you switch off the valves close and the water stays hot. when you get back in the valves open and an electric pump circulates this back through the cabin heater matrix to demist screen and heat interior, could be modded to offer a heat store for a camper but a shed load of work when an eber is so simple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts