VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 10 plate Caravelle 180 with the above gearbox, it's been getting noisy changing gear mainly 2/3 3/4 when cold and getting louder, so we changed the gearbox oil and set the levels using Vagcom.

It's still noisy, so local VW want to book it in for diagnostics. They say because it's crashing a gear it's likely to be a physical issue rather than software but we've looked up prices for megatronic unit, clutches and gearbox itself is a complete unit from Vag - very scary and could be into thousands.

Mileage is 64k and we're having to check oil levels regularly as this engine seems to burn it for a hobby.

Anyone have same engine / gearbox and have any issues / advice?

It's a great van but this really could spell the end!

Cheers
T:

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
I know the 180 has a reputation for burning oil. There used to be a gearbox firm at Milton Keynes repaired/rebuilt DSG's a few years ago, not sure if anyone else touches them now but it ain't goin to be cheap, oh & it's mechatronic, good luck!

·
Special Rapporteur
10,721 Posts
I would wait to hear what the outcome of the VW diagnostics is. Unlike any earlier auto gearbox, the DSG logs a massive amount of diagnostic data, and I would rate a dealer (with the help of the experts in Germany) as having the best chance of figuring out what is going wrong - far more so than any third party.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think we've decided to go ahead with diagnosis at our local dealer and make a decision based on the feedback before they start take it apart! Replacement gearbox is £3297 + Vat but parts for the mechatronic are less we are hoping for good news, if not we will be forced to sell ☹

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.