VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 facelift with the 7 speed DSG box. It has recently started making a noise when idling which disappears once in gear and I'm not sure what it is. Had it been a manual I would assume it to be a thrust bearing or DMF but as an auto obviously this can't be the case. Has anyone else had a similar problem or any ideas as to what it may be?
She's fairly high mileage at 150k although fully VW maintained so it's had the required attention when needed. Obviously beginning to panic as I know these box's are expensive but at the minute its just a noise, no judder or vibration and the gears seem to be absolutely perfect. The noise doesn't sound too bad and I've had it on the ramps to confirm where it's coming from but could use some advice before I start tearing it apart..........

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine has done the same since I bought it last February with 118 000 kms. Only intermittent though. It came from a VW main agent, and has been in to two or three others since and no comment has ever been made. It's now got 152 000 kms and still does it from time to time. No other symptoms, drives perfectly. A case of "they all do that sir"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, its slightly reassuring if yours has been making similar noises for around 12 months!
Perhaps I won't rush into pulling it apart then.... will keep a close eye (or ear) on it for the short term and see how things progress.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, a bit of info the DSG gearbox is a manual gearbox with a hydraulic unit that does the shifting as such it does have a DMF, and the play will cause the noise you describe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, a bit of info the DSG gearbox is a manual gearbox with a hydraulic unit that does the shifting as such it does have a DMF, and the play will cause the noise you describe
Thanks for the info. Is this a main dealer only part or can I source elsewhere? Can I change the DMF myself????

·
Registered
206 Posts
DMF could probably get from GSF, to change the gearbox needs to come out which is quite a big job and a heavy gearbox too, if you are handy with the spanners and have access to a lift then it is only a nuts and bolts job

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you can't change filter on the newer ones? Do you know roughly when the change to the newer design was? I was planning to do the oil change on mine myself...
Not sure when it changed but mines an April 2011 with the 7 speed box. The filter sits on top of the box and is fairly easy to access. No idea about the newer version though, sorry!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts