VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had the dsg gearbox software upgrade.

Apparently it's a software upgrade that gives the driver more control?

See below

The DSG remap upgrade is a great addition to an all ready impressive gearbox, the remap gives the driver back full control in manual/sport mode as well as enabling full use of the engines power range.

The DSG gearbox remap includes the following features :-

- Launch control enabled at 3200rpm.

- The torque limit built into the factory software has been increased to 500Nm (368lbft). Please note: these limits are not hardware limits, but built in software limits from the factory. As with all our software, our DSG software operates within the safety tolerances set by the factory.

- In gear display is turned on. (model dependant)

- Kickdown has been disabled giving more control over the car, the car will no longer select gears in manual mode. Driver has full control.

- Auto upshift is also disabled allowing the driver to upshift as and when they please. Giving more control to the driver and allowing the full potential of power to be seen from the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apart from the beans. Does it make the dsg box better? Some have complained that it can hunt for gears when you don't really want it to? Hence would this upgrade solve this.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
Some have complained that it can hunt for gears when you don't really want it to? Hence would this upgrade solve this.
Hunting for gears is not a problem I have ever experienced with mine (2 years ownership now).

Launch control in a (near) 3 tonne van sounds the perfect way to test all of the components in your transmission to find which one fails first.

I'd like to reprogram my DSG, but none of the things I'd like to do are in that list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm constantly annoyed by the DSG gearbox in my T5 caravelle. It over revs the engine in 1st when it's cold, it should be able to shift into 2nd without going to nearly 3000rpm in 1st! I also find it a bit lethargic, as you approach a large roundabout and you look to your left for approaching gaps, i see one and put my foot down expecting it to scene it and change down, instead it waits for 7 or 8 seconds by which time you've ambled out into the path of the approaching car at which point it wakes up and changes down 2 gears and you take off like scalded cat. A friend has the same 7 speed DSG in his golf GTI and it's beautiful to drive both fast and slow. I think VW have failed to adjust the gearbox setting fully for a larger heavier vehicle which is why it can be a bit awkward at times. I don't find the sport setting much use other than it increases the revs in each gear before changing, it doesn't speed the response of the shifting up.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
It over revs the engine in 1st when it's cold, it should be able to shift into 2nd without going to nearly 3000rpm in 1st!
It should only do this once (i.e. on the first gearchange after starting). I believe that it does this deliberately to ensure complete oil distribution over the gears after a cold start when the vehicle could (in theory) have been standing unused for months. If it does it for several successive changes you may have an internal fault.

Is yours a 180? IIRC the programming for these was initially very conservative and there were a few complaints about very slow downshifts when flooring it at roundabouts.

If it's an early model, I think it may be possible to get the box reprogrammed by a dealer to make it more responsive, though before you do that, I would recommend you read the other threads on the subject - I recall that the results were not always entirely good!

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Every DSG I've ever had or got, there's been a few, unless you floor the throttle it's into second gear within a few yards hot or cold. I suspect your 7 or 8 seconds lag is somewhat pessimistic as you'd be round the roundabout and off again in that time. When I approach a roundabout I think I'd be looking to the right for a gap or are you abroad?

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes it's a 180 BHP 2006 plate so possibly an early gearbox mapping. I don;t really want to mess around with things i've heard too many disastrous stories.

I pull out of our drive onto a main road with vicious speed humps, so i'm at walking pace for at least 300yds no matter now gently i increase the throttle it holds onto 1st for way to long. If i put it to manual i can force it to change a bit sooner about 2700-2800rpm but its seems to be unnecessarily over revving the engine when cold. It should be able to change into 2nd before 2000rpm unless the gear ratio gap is too large between 1st and 2nd? And yes i meant right not left when approaching the roundabout.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
I hope I've already explained why the first gear change after engine start is different on a DSG . If you don't like that behaviour then perhaps you should buy a different van.

And I know it may ~feel~ like 7 or 8 seconds with an HGV thundering towards you, but in reality it's probably more like half that. The fundamental reason behind these issues is a common one for all DSG boxes: the auto box controller has to guess which gear it needs next, and if it guesses wrong the gearchange will be slow, because it can no longer just flip the clutches.

However, if it really is a 2006 plate van, then you don't have a DSG gearbox.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think VW have failed to adjust the gearbox setting fully for a larger heavier vehicle which is why it can be a bit awkward at times. I don't find the sport setting much use other than it increases the revs in each gear before changing,
VW have spent millions in developement of the DSG so they cannot be wrong. Simple as that. Perhaps you’re a bit touchy because your gearbox sounds to be faulty? I went from Hertfordshire to Bristol a year ago to test drive a Caravelle which would not do a kick down unless I stamped on the throttle to the floor (my 2014 Highline kick’s down @ about 85% of throttle so I would suggest your gearbox is a bit duff?! Sport [Speed] is fantastic for reducing speed thru higher revs/ engine braking downhill in Snowdon, Lake District, Scotland or Austria.
If you don't like that behaviour then perhaps you should buy a different van?
However, if it really is a 2006 plate van, then you don't have a DSG gearbox.
Nail on head moment! 👌🏻

·
Registered
36 Posts
typo its a 2016. tbh i like everything about the van. fuel consumption is a bit thirsty but it's a big lump to haul around as as i said to the VW dealers we spoke to just be honest about the mpg, we will find out the truth once we buy one. I just wish we'd got a manual not the auto but when we were looking we were out of choices as all we could find were auto's

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
I suspect you'll get to like it after a while - they are very relaxing to drive, especially on winding roads where lots of gearchanges are needed.

The thirst should not be down to the gearbox. The older Tiptronic boxes made them thirsty (because of the slip and heat loss in the torque converter) but real world figures for manual versus DSG show there's hardly any difference, and it's more down to how you drive than anything else.

If you want better control over the gearbox, it may be worth considering steering wheel paddles. It's cheap to do (relatively) and I find it very useful, especially in taming downhill down-changes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I suspect you'll get to like it after a while - they are very relaxing to drive, especially on winding roads where lots of gearchanges are needed.
...real world figures for manual versus DSG show there's hardly any difference...
👌🏻 DSG for life. Could never go back to manual, far too ‘lower-class’. 👨🏻‍💼
😂🤣

·
Registered
485 Posts
Massive Dsg fan after being introduced a few years back and in the wife’s new polo Gti too... slightly more exciting than the t5 haha... T5s silky smooth changes and no really lag to mention, if anything in standard mode I would prefer it to rev a bit more before changing up!! Also have paddle shifters on steering wheel which suit country roads more than roundabouts 😉

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep DSG fan here however it's not perfect. I have paddle shift so that helps as it can be a bit slow on gear changes some times or upshifts too early. If I'm approaching a roundabout or junction and i want quick getaway I knock into sport mode. Mine changes to 2nd far too early in drive and pulls away too slow if traffic bearing down on you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts